Cal-SAFERepository archive entry for the California School Age Families Education (Cal-SAFE) program in the Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) Section of the CDE Web site.
Added to Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) on May 29, 2015.
This information is for historical purposes only and it is possible that information contained here may not be current.
- Funded through 2012–13
- Effective 2013–14, the Cal-SAFE program was subsumed into the local control funding formula.
- California Education Code (EC) sections 54740–54749.5
Source of Appropriation/Budget Act Item
- Budget Act Item 6110-198-0001
- The Cal-SAFE Program became operational through the California Department of Education in July 2000, and was designed to increase the availability of support services necessary for enrolled expectant or parenting students to improve academic achievement and parenting skills, and to provide a quality child care and development program for their children. The Cal-SAFE Program provided the opportunity for local educational agencies throughout California to access sufficient resources to support a seamless, cost-effective service delivery system from point of entry into the Program until graduation. It was the intent of the Legislature that school districts and county offices of education implementing the Cal-SAFE Program connect with existing program strategies, and build upon existing local collaboratives to provide a unified integrated system of services to children, youth, and families. For information about Cal-SAFE programs in your area, contact your local school district.
SACS Resource/Revenue Codes
- 6091, 6092 / 8590
- EC Section 42605 authorized flexibility for this funding for fiscal years 2008–09 through 2012–13. During those years, and with specified conditions in EC Section 42605(e), a school district or county office of education could use funds received for any educational purpose.
Questions: California Department of Education | 916-319-0800
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, March 22, 2022
Share this Page
Trending in Programs No Longer Administered by CDE
Recently Posted in Programs No Longer Administered by CDE