Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Continued Funding Application FAQs

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions relating to Management Bulletin 21-14 on the Fiscal Year 2022–23 Continued Funding Application.

Management Bulletin 21-14

Application Submission, Due Date, Signature

  1. How many copies of the Continued Funding Application (CFA) do I need to submit?

    One original application must be submitted if submitting the application electronically. If submitting physically via mail, agencies must submit (one) 1 original, and (two) 2 copies of the completed CFA.
  1. When is the CFA due?

    The completed CFA package must be received by the Early Education Division (EED) on or before 5 p.m., December 17, 2021 regardless of submitting electronically or by mail.
  1. Can I submit the CFA with a digital signature?

    Yes. Alternatively, if submitting the CFA electronically, scanned copies of physically signed pages are also acceptable.
  1. Can the Legal Business Address in Section I: Contractor Information be a residence?

    The Legal Business Address may be a residence if the contractor is headquartered at a residence. The Legal Business Address entered in this section must match the contractor’s Legal Address on file in the Child Development Management Information System (CDMIS) database.
  1. Does the Early Education Division (EED) accept California State Preschool Program (CSPP) Continued Funding Applications for California Department of Social Services (CDSS)?

    No. The EED can only accept the FY 2022–23 CFA for CSPP contracts. Contractors should route the CFA for any other program type to the CDSS.

  1. May I abbreviate my legal name if it does not fit in the space provided?

    No. Contractors must enter their complete legal name, as it appears on the signed and approved fiscal year (FY) 2021–22 contract face sheet.
  1. Is there a different application for a potential New CSPP program?

    The CFA process is for existing CSPP Contractors, the Request for Applications (RFA) process is for new CSPP contractors.


  1. How can I request for an extension if we cannot get board approvals on time?

    Please submit requests for extensions of time to the CFA inbox: Please request for an extension of time to submit the Continued Funding Application. When you do that, please be very specific as to the reason why you were unable to get the board approval on time and the reason why you need an extension. Please send this to us right away so that we can approve any extension before the due date of the Continued Funding Application.

Program Narrative and Calendar

  1. I do not have changes to my Program Narrative. Do I need to complete Section IV: Program Narrative?

    If the CSPP contractor has programmatic or minimum days of operation changes, a program narrative form must be completed and submitted with the CFA package.
  1. If there is a reduction or addition to the Minimum Days of Operation (MDO) for our CSPP, do I need to submit a program narrative change?

    Yes. Any deviation from the MDO currently approved in your signed and executed 2021–22 contract constitutes a program narrative change. Select the checked boxes for the program types with MDO changes in Section IV-A of the application. Then, to provide further detail on the MDO change, download and attach the Program Narrative Change (EED-3704A) (PDF)

  1. Are we required to include a FY 2022–23 program calendar in the CFA package if there are no changes to our minimum days of operation?

    Yes. All CSPP contractors must include a program calendar for each type of CSPP operated (i.e., full-day/full-year, part-day/part year) as applicable. CSPP contractors will complete and submit form EED 9730 with the CFA package.

  1. What are the Minimum Days of Operation (MDO) we can have?

    Education Code Section 8207 states: (b) A part-day California state preschool program shall operate for a minimum of (1) three hours per day, excluding time for home-to-school transportation, and (2) a minimum of 175 days per year, unless the contract specifies a lower number of days of operation. (c) A full-day California state preschool program shall operate for a minimum of 246 days per year, unless the contract specifies a lower number of days of operation.

  1. At my site I have a full day program that runs 248 days and a half day program with both AM and PM classes that run 175 days do I need to submit two calendars.?

    Yes, you would need to submit a calendar for your full day program and a calendar for your part day program.

  1. Our program has full day and part day at 175 days. I notice that the boxes to check are full day/full year and part day/part year.  Which boxes should I check for our program?

    Please check both boxes. In addition, you would need to submit a calendar for your full day program and a calendar for your part day program.

  1. We have several subcontractors that run a part day part year program.  Do I need to include with the CFA each of their calendars individually or do I submit just one with all of their days of operation represented? They all meet MDO, but may have different start and end dates and different closures throughout the program year. 

    You would need to submit a calendar for your full day program and a calendar for your part day program.

Board of Directors

  1. Do I need to submit the names of my Board of Directors?

    Yes. All contractors who have a governing Board of Directors must include the contact information for each governing officer. Contractors who do not have a Board of Directors must provide an explanation of why their organization does not have governing officers.
  1. Can the Contractor’s Officers and Board of Directors form have the same information for all members?

    No. Each member must include their personal address, email and phone number associated with the organization they are affiliated with.

  2. Should we attach additional pages for Board of Directors Information if we have more than 3 board members (Section III – CSPP Contractor’s Officers and Board of Director’s Information)?

    Yes, list all officers and board members/governing individuals (i.e., owner, director, etc.) in an additional document as needed.

  3. Does the Board of Directors refer to the School Board?

    For a Local Educational Agency (LEA), you would list the members of the LEA’s governing body, which could be a school board.


  1. I do not have a subcontractor; do I need a signature on the Subcontract Certification form?

    Yes. All contractors must sign Section VI: Subcontract Certification.
  1. May I abbreviate my legal name if it does not fit in the space provided?

    No. Contractors must enter their complete legal name, as it appears on the signed and approved fiscal year (FY) 2021–22 contract face sheet.
  1. In regards to CSPP CFA subcontractors, are board resolutions required by these entities because they are public agencies?

    The board resolution is only required for the CSPP contractor, not each of their subcontractors.


  1. Is "K. For Public Agencies, must include board resolution or minutes of meeting reflecting authorization of signature on this document, and a delegation of authority" required due to the automatic renewals for next year? If required, is there a specific form that school districts need to provide?

    The requirement was formerly part of the contract signing process that took place in the spring. However, in order to be able to renew contracts more expeditiously, the requirement for public agencies to provide such documents is being requested as part of the CFA.  There is not a specific form required. Typically, a board resolution is on the agency’s letterhead and is signed by the Superintendent. If not signed by the Superintendent, then the person signing must have been delegated the authority to sign.

  1. Do non-profit organizations, which do have a Board of Directors, that are not public agencies, also need to submit a board resolution?

    If a non-public agency has a board of directors, then their board should follow their agency’s bylaws and legal requirements pertaining to authorizing contracts on behalf of the agency. Submission of the CFA must be signed by the authorized representative of the non-public agency with legal authority to contractually bind the agency such as the President of the Board, an Executive Director or Owner. If an individual with a different title than above signs the contract, the agency should provide one of the following indicating the signee has the legal authority to enter into and sign contractual agreements:

    • Letter on company letterhead;
    • Board Resolution; or
    • Board Minutes
  1. Does our Board Resolution have to be current or can it be from a prior time period? We may not be able to obtain the board resolution prior to the CFA due date.

    Yes, the board resolution must be current, and related to renewing the CSPP contract for FY 2022–23. If the contractor is unable to obtain the board resolution prior to the due date of the CFA, the contractor may request an extension for submission of the CFA. The request must include the specific reason, and must be approved by the California Department of Education (CDE). Requests for extension should be sent to the CFA email inbox at Requests must be submitted right away so the CDE has time to review and approve prior to the CFA due date.

  1. Our county office is governed by the Superintendent of Schools not the Board of Education.  Can the CFA be signed by the Superintendent's designee?

    The board resolution can be signed by the superintendent or the person that has been delegated authority to sign the board resolution.

  1. CO.8 Federal Certifications: On page 2, Place of Performance, do we include the addresses of the 3 different sites that we operate?

    Yes. Include all sites at which services are provided, as well as the contractor’s headquarters. An additional page may be added, as necessary.

  1. CO.8 Federal Certifications: do we need to provide Contract #?

    No, Contractors won't need to input anything on the Contract # Section since the Contract # won't be provided until we get a request.

Child Development Management Information System (CDMIS)

  1. On CDMIS, it asks for license capacity. We operate part-day (AM and PM). For license capacity do you want the capacity for the number of children allowed at one time?

    The licensed capacity indicated on the facility license issued by the Child Care Licensing Division must be entered in this section of the CDMIS.

  1. On CDMIS, it also asks for the breakdown by age of children served. Is this an estimate?

    CSPP contractors should enter this information-based number of children served, per age, as of the date the CDMIS is updated.

  1. When updating CDMIS for this CSPP-CFA, do we delete the other contract types listed under the same site? Some of our sites serve CSPP and Center Based Child Care (CCTR) contracts.

    Please do not delete any of the other contract types listed in CDMIS because it is currently being utilized by the Department of Social Services. It’s important that all of your other contracts type information remains in CDMIS.

FY 2022-23 Contract

  1. The application says that by completing and returning the FY 2022–23 CFA, your agency indicates that it wishes to automatically renew its CSPP contract for FY 2022–23 and is willing to, and does accept, all the terms and conditions of such contract, which will be provided to all CSPP contractors being renewed for funding no later than June 1, 2022. What does this mean?

    Contractors that complete and submit the CFA in accordance with all instructions and are approved for continued funding will receive their Fiscal Year 2022–23 CSPP contract from CDE in the spring, which will contain all of the terms and conditions of the contract, but will no longer need to sign and return the contract to the CDE for it to be considered an executed contract as of July 1, 2022. Unless the contractor submits written notice to the CDE that it rejects the terms of the 22–23 contract, the contract will be automatically renewed and no further action will be required from the contractor.

  1. When will contractors receive a contract amendment with their new Maximum Reimbursement Amount (MRA)?

    Contract amendments that we generally refer to as "Budget Act Amendments" were processed in September. For CSPP's that will receive an increase as a result of further rate increases, those amendments will be processed in December. If you have a different type of amendment that you are expecting, please reach out to your fiscal analyst.

  1. How will you know if you are a contractor who needs to complete the CFA or it will be renewed automatically?

    All CSPP contractors are required to complete and submit the CFA.

  1. Will our Contract Number stay the same for FY 2022–2023 as in FY 2021–2022?

    Your contract number will change in FY 2022–23. The first digit in your contract represents the fiscal year of the contract. For example, CSPP1xxx - the "1" indicates a 2021–22. Your next year's CSPP contract will begin with CSPP2.

  1. Will the automatic renewal be ongoing, or just for one year?

    This change is intended to be permanent at this time.

  1. In the transition to the Universal Transitional Kindergarten (UTK), should we submit the CFA with how we are running the program now and plan on running next year and submit a revision of changes made of the LEA affect the CSPP program?

    If you are aware now that there’s going to be changes to your CSPP because of the Universal Transitional Kindergarten (UTK), that should be included as a Program Narrative Change with your fiscal year 2022–23 CFA. If you’re not aware of any changes that might be made and those occur later in 2022–23 then you would submit that Program Narrative Change to your assigned Early Education Division (EED) Program Quality Implementation (PQI) office consultant at the time that those changes are going to be made.

  1. Should we apply a different CFA for Center Based Child Care (CCTR) and CSPP?

    Yes. The CSPP is administered by the California Department of Education. The Center Based Child Care (CCTR) contracts will be with Department of Social Services (CDSS). The CCTR contracts or any contract type other than the CSPP, will be with the CDSS. Only the CSPP CFA should be submitted to the Department of Education.

  1. Our contract and program are new for FY 2021–22, if we have a site name change are we able to submit our CFA with the new name or should we use the name from the original application?

    If the site name change has not been approved by your assigned Program Quality Implementation office consultant prior to submitting the CFA include the name from the original application. Please contact your assigned consultant to discuss what you will need to submit in order to have the name change approved.


  1. Are the 2 Professional Development (PD) days still available?

    Yes, two professional development days are still available.

  1. Does Juneteenth impact how many days that are considered full year?

    The statutory requirement for minimum days of operation has not changed. Even with the addition of a new federal holiday the part day preschool program is still required to operate a minimum of 175 days per year. The full day state preschool program is required to operate for a minimum of 246 days per year, unless the contract specifies a lower number of days of operation. Unless it's approved through your contract, those are the required minimum days of operation and that has not changed just because there’s a new federal holiday. Please contact your assigned EED PQI office consultant for guidance on how to request a reduction to the contract’s minimum days of operation.

Return to CFA web page

Return to Top

Questions:   Early Education Division |
Last Reviewed: Friday, June 09, 2023
Recently Posted in Early Education
  • CDMIS Update #34 Instructions (added 08-Feb-2024)
    Provides instruction on how users can export existing CDD-801A data from the Child Development Management Information System (CDMIS), copy their records to the “CDD-801A Microsoft Excel Template”, and save as a text file to upload to the CDMIS.
  • Management Bulletin 24-01 (added 29-Jan-2024)
    Guidance on California State Preschool Program Neighborhood School Eligibility
  • CDMIS Update #32 (added 22-Jan-2024)
    Child Development Management Information System (CDMIS) Update Regarding New Reason Codes U (CSPP Early Enrollment) and V (Means-Tested Government Program)