Management Bulletin 19-06
Early Learning and Care Division
Subject: Collection of Data for the Subsidized Provider Report
Date: August 2019
Expires: Until Rescinded
Authority: Senate Bill 75, Chapter 51, Statutes of 2019; sections 8430-32 of the California Education Code, Section 6253.21 of the Government Code, and Section 1596.86 of the California Health and Safety Code
Attention: Executive Directors and Program Directors of Contractors administering programs with individuals who operate licensed family child care homes or license-exempt individual providers
The purpose of this Management Bulletin (MB) is two-fold:
- To inform contractors of the new law which requires contracting partner agencies to collect and provide to the California Department of Education (CDE) specific business and personal information pertaining to individuals who operate family child care homes and license-exempt individual providers to support future collective bargaining legislation.
- To provide guidance, resources, and technical assistance to contractors on the timelines and processes for the collection and submission of the required data.
Senate Bill (SB) 75, as adopted in the omnibus trailer bill of the Budget Act of 2019, added California Education Code (EC) Section 8432, effective July 1, 2019, which requires CDE to collect and submit to verified provider organizations, as defined in SB 75, specific business and/or personal information of family child care providers, which are defined in EC Section 8431(a)(1) as follows:
- “Family childcare provider” or “provider” means a childcare provider who participates in a state-funded early care and education program as specified in subdivision (c) and is either of the following:
- An individual who operates a family daycare home, as defined in Section 1596.78 of the Health and Safety Code, and who is licensed pursuant to the requirement in Section 1596.80 of the Health and Safety Code.
- An individual who provides early care and education in their own home or in the home of the child receiving care and is exempt from licensing requirements pursuant to Section 1596.792 of the Health and Safety Code.
Hereafter, these will be collectively referred to as “providers.”
Contracting agencies must collect and submit to the CDE the specific information detailed in this MB, most of which should already be in the possession of the agency, for all providers that have received payment from the agency between April 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019. In addition, contracting agencies have a continuing monthly obligation to collect and submit the same information for all providers who subsequently receive payment thereafter from the agency and to update any changes in provider information and provide the updated information to the CDE in the form of a Subsidized Provider Report (SPR).
In addition, as required by the Information Practices Act (Civil Code section 1798.17), contracting agencies must provide notice of this collection to all providers whose information is being collected and submitted to the CDE for these purposes.
Notice To Providers
Prior to collecting and submitting the data elements, referenced below, contracting agencies must send a notice to all impacted providers about the fact that this information is being collected and submitted to the CDE and redisclosed to provider organizations as required by SB 75. Contracting agencies should use the Notice to Providers, with the attached relevant code sections. The CDE has drafted these documents which are ready to be sent to providers. The Notice to Providers and Attachment A are available on the Subsidized Provider Report web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/spreport.asp. While the Notice to Providers must be sent out as soon as possible in order to make current providers aware of the collection and use of their information in compliance with the law, the notice to new providers can simply be included with an agency’s initial paperwork.
Data To Be Collected
The following information is the data that is required to be collected pursuant to SB 75*:
- Provider’s name
- Provider’s home address*
- Provider’s mailing address
- Work and cellular telephone numbers
- Email address, if known
- Agency, contractor, subcontractor, or political subdivision administering the program
- State facility license number, if applicable
- The date the provider began subsidy care
- The date the provider ended subsidy care, if applicable
- The unique provider identification number, if applicable
* Pursuant to EC Section 8432(h), the Notice to Providers informs those providers approved as participants in the Secretary of State Address Confidentiality Program, that a designated address may be provided in lieu of a home address.
The complete list of data fields you will need to enter in order to meet reporting requirements are provided in the SPR Technical Manual, available on the Subsidized Provider Report web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/spreport.asp.
Data Reporting Instructions
In order to transfer provider data to provider organizations within SB 75 required timeframes, the CDE will require agencies to submit data through the Child Development Management Information System (CDMIS). For further information and detailed technical instructions on how to submit provider information through CDMIS, please refer to the SPR Technical Manual as described above.
The SPR Upload function will be available in the CDMIS beginning Monday, August 19, 2019. The table below provides information regarding SPR reporting periods. Further information regarding report due dates is available on the SPR Submission Schedule web page available on the Subsidized Provider Report web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/spreport.asp.
|Reporting Period Start||Report Due||Report Contains|
|August 19, 2019||August 30, 2019||Providers who were paid between April 1, 2019, and June 30, 2019|
|September 3, 2019||September 20, 2019||Providers who were paid between July 1, 2019, and August 31, 2019|
|October 1, 2019, and first day of each month following||October 20, 2019, and twentieth day of each month following||Providers who were paid during September 2019, and providers paid through previous month thereafter|
Contractors that also hold a California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Stage 1 contract, will be receiving separate instructions from the county welfare department or the California Department of Social Services regarding uploading CalWORKs Stage 1 provider data.
Technical Assistance To Be Provided
Technical instructions for submitting the SPR are available in the SPR Technical Manual on the Subsidized Provider Report web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/spreport.asp. The CDE will host a live webinar for submitting the monthly SPR through the CDMIS on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The CDE will record this webinar and make it available on the Subsidized Provider Report web page.
Agencies may contact CDMIS Support by phone at 916-445-1907 or by email at CDMIS@cde.ca.gov for further reporting technical assistance.
The Notice to Providers is ready to be sent to current providers, and is available on the Subsidized Provider Report web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/spreport.asp. This notice must be sent to your current providers as soon as possible. Relevant sections of code are available in Notice to Providers, Attachment A on the Subsidized Provider Report web page.
If you have any questions regarding the information in this MB, please contact your assigned Early Learning and Care Field Services Consultant. A list of consultants can be found on the CDE Consultant Regional Assignments web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/assignments.asp or by phone at 916-322-6233.
This Management Bulletin is mandatory only to the extent that it cites a specific statutory and/or regulatory requirement. Any portion of this Management Bulletin that is not supported by a specific statutory and/or regulatory requirement is not prescriptive pursuant to California Education Code Section 33308.5.