Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Charter School FAQ Section 5

Questions and answers regarding charter school staffing issues.

Responses to these frequently asked questions are advisory only. Charter schools and charter authorizers are encouraged to review the actual laws and regulations that provide the basis for these responses and consult with their own legal counsel regarding the application of any of these issues to a specific situation.


  1. What qualifications are required of charter school teachers?

    California Education Code sections 47605(l) External link opens in new window or tab. and 47605.6 External link opens in new window or tab. state that all teachers in charter schools are required to hold a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing certificate, permit, or other document equivalent for the teacher’s certificated assignment.

    Administrators and non-teaching staff such as counselors, librarians or others employed by the charter school are not required to be credentialed.

  2. How can an individual earn a teaching credential in California?

    There are several routes that an individual may use to earn a credential in California. Links to the requirements that may be of assistance to charter school teachers can be obtained at California Commission on Teacher Credentialing External link opens in new window or tab.. Traditional routes include college and university teacher preparation programs and internships. Nontraditional routes would include eminence credentials, private school experience, early completion internship options, and teaching permits.

  3. Do teachers assigned to English learners providing core content instruction in charter schools need supplemental certification and authorization to teach English learners?

    Yes. Teachers providing core instruction to an English learner must possess the same credentials as required in all California public schools, kindergarten through grade twelve.

    Further information regarding English learner certification and authorization is available at California Commission on Teacher Credentialing External link opens in new window or tab..

  4. Are charter authorizers required to monitor teacher assignments in charter schools?

    California Education Code Section 47605(l) External link opens in new window or tab. requires charter schools to maintain “on file” the credentials, emergency/teaching permits, or waivers that authorize individuals to teach in the schools.

    Documents regarding teacher assignments are subject to periodic inspection by the chartering authority. The chartering authority has the responsibility to conduct "periodic" inspections of such documents. The statute does not define 'periodic' so charter schools should contact their chartering authority which may be the school district or the county office of education concerning the frequency and manner of such periodic inspections.

Return to Charter School Frequently Asked Questions

Questions:   Charter Schools Division | | 916-322-6029
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Recently Posted in Charter Schools