Education Code Section 56100Necessary activities to be undertaken regarding special education for individuals with exceptional needs.
The State Board of Education shall do all of the following:
- Adopt rules and regulations necessary for the efficient administration of this part.
- Adopt criteria and procedures for the review and approval by the board of local plans.
- Adopt size and scope standards for determining the efficacy of local plans submitted by special education local plan areas, pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 56195.1.
- Provide review, upon petition, to any district, special education local plan area, or county office that appeals a decision made by the department that affects its providing services under this part except a decision made pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 56500).
- Review and approve a program evaluation plan for special education programs provided by this part in accordance with Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 56600). This plan may be approved for up to three years.
- Recommend to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing the adoption of standards for the certification of professional personnel for special education programs conducted pursuant to this part.
- Adopt regulations to provide specific procedural criteria and guidelines for the identification of pupils as individuals with exceptional needs.
- Adopt guidelines of reasonable pupil progress and achievement for individuals with exceptional needs. The guidelines shall be developed to aid teachers and parents or guardians in assessing an individual pupil's education program and the appropriateness of the special education services.
- In accordance with the requirements of federal law, adopt regulations for all educational programs for individuals with exceptional needs, including programs administered by other state or local agencies.
- Adopt uniform rules and regulations relating to parental due process rights in the area of special education.
- Adopt rules and regulations regarding the ownership and transfer of materials and equipment, including facilities, related to transfer of programs, reorganization, or restructuring of special education local plan areas.
Questions: Venetia Davis | email@example.com | 916-323-9773
Last Reviewed: Wednesday, July 5, 2017