Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Mentoring Frequently Asked Questions

Grants: Workability I Vocational Education Project - PCA: 23011.

WorkAbility I (WAI) Home | WAI Meeting Agendas | WAI Regions and Contact Information | WAI Resources | WAI Mentoring Frequently Asked Questions | WorkAbility I Array of Services Definitions

Expand the sections below to review frequently asked questions regarding the WorkAbility I (WAI) Vocational Education Project.

Expand All | Collapse All


Q: Does every program receive equal funding?

A: No. Programs serving 17 or fewer students receive a flat funding amount. Programs serving 18 or more students receive a base sum plus additional funding per student.

Q: How much carryover is my program allowed?

A: None. WAI does not allow carryover funding.

Student Eligibility

Q: How long is a student eligible for WAI?

A: A student is eligible as long as the student is on an active individualized education program (IEP) and meets the local program requirements.

Program Application

Q: How does a site apply for a grant?

A: The California Department of Education (CDE) is not currently accepting applications for new grants. If additional funding becomes available, application information would be posted on the CDE Web site and distributed through various list serves.

Program Administrator

Q: How many hours does a student need to work to qualify as a placement?

A: Any student who has received the minimum or learners wage payment for work is considered a placement.

Q: If the program coordinator does not work during the summer, who should be the contact person?

A: Each site must designate a contact. The designee must be someone who is available and able to address any questions the CDE may have.

Q: Who issues work permits?

A: Work permits are required in California for any minor student who has not yet graduated and who would like to work. School districts and county offices of education designate their own work permit officials.

Q: How much student information should an employer receive?

A: Student information is confidential. Programs must have written permission from a parent or guardian or, if the student is eighteen years or older, from the student before discussing a student’s situation with employers. Employers should receive enough information that they can assist the student with his or her needs on the job.

Q: Can projects use student learner’s wage?

A: Yes, the wage is 85 percent of the minimum wage rounded to the nearest nickel during the first 160 hours of employment in occupations in which the student has no previous or related experience.

Q: What documentation must be kept at the site level and for how long?

A: Each program must collect data documenting services provided to each student. A dated service log must be kept for each student served. All programmatic documents must be kept for seven years.

Q: What are allowable expenses under this grant?

A: WAI funds must supplement, not supplant existing transition programs/services for students with IEPs. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Staff and student wages
  • Mandated employment benefits
  • Job training
  • Student and staff transportation to WAI activities
  • Clothing and tools necessary for student employment
  • Supplemental curriculum materials
  • Supplies for program operation, office supplies
  • Duplication costs
  • Participation at required WAI trainings
  • Indirect costs
  • Unless specifically approved by CDE, capital purchases such as computers are not allowed

Q: What is the last date for a budget revision?

A: June 30.

CDE Role

Q: How does a program know if it is out of compliance?

A: CDE will notify programs by mail when they are found out of compliance. A program can become noncompliant through one of several ways. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Failing to serve all students for which funding was received.
  • Failing to place into competitive integrated employment at least 25 percent of the students which a program is funded to serve.
  • Failing to meet all paperwork and electronic filing deadlines.
  • Failing to attend all mandatory meetings.
  • Failing to follow the Budget Expenditure guidelines.
  • Failing to comply with all California Education Code requirements.

Q: Who is the CDE contact for local WAI programs?

A: Prior to state level contact, the project should contact their mentor representative, or their regional manager. Questions for the CDE should be sent to the WorkAbility I inbox at: Please use the following naming convention within the subject line when submitting a question: [project number], [project name], [subject]. For example, 258-05, Apple Valley USD, 2020-21 Final Expenditure Report.

The CDE WAI Team Regional Assignments:

Program Infrastructure

What committees exist, and what do they do?

Business, Education, and Labor (BEL) – Promote and recognize partnerships between business, education, and the labor force for WorkAbility I programs at the local, regional, and state levels.

Family Transition Network (FTN) – Provide transition information, training, and resources to parents, students, and families to assist the student through the process of transition to quality adult life.

Government Relations Committee (GRC) – Research, correlate, and disseminate information related to legislative process and policy at the federal, state, and local levels as it relates to the WorkAbility I program.

Human Support Services (HSS) – Research, and disseminate information regarding interagency support for key stakeholders in the WorkAbility I program at the state, regional, and local levels.

Mentor – Provide/facilitate mentor trainings within local region. Offer support, collaborate with regional teams, assist in the special conditions process, and provide responses to frequently asked questions.

State and Regional Training (SRT) – Facilitate quality professional development and training opportunities to all key stakeholders of the WorkAbility I program.

Technology, Education, Communication (TEC) – Provide technical support to key CDE stakeholders related to the statewide WorkAbility I, data collection system. Assists with research and review of WorkAbility I Web site content.

Wage, Labor, and Safety (WLS) – Provide information, resources, training, and support to key stakeholders regarding wage, labor, and safety.


Questions:   WorkAbility I | | 916-327-0878
Last Reviewed: Monday, February 22, 2021
Recently Posted in Special Education
  • FMTA Consultant Assignments by Region (updated 05-Jul-2022)
    The Focused Monitoring and Technical Assistance (FMTA) Consultants are assigned geographically and by quality assurance activity to align with the eleven California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA) regions.
  • ACSE Agenda June 22-23, 2022 (added 10-Jun-2022)
    Advisory Commission on Special Education (ACSE) meeting agenda.
  • Students with Disabilities and Face Coverings (updated 27-May-2022)
    Letter to local educational agencies of state and federal guidance requiring face coverings, including allowable exemptions, in order to avoid implementing policies that may result in a denial of a free and appropriate public education.