California Teachers of the YearRecognizes exemplary teachers who best represent all of California's teachers and symbolize the profession's contributions to quality education.
State Superintendent Tom Torlakson has announced our 2018 California Teachers of the Year!
Presented by California Casualty and the California Teachers of the Year Foundation, the California Department of Education (CDE) invites county offices of education, school districts, charter schools, professional organizations, and private schools statewide to participate in our annual California Teachers of the Year Program. This program highlights educational innovation, student learning, and the rewards of teaching. Further, the program attracts public attention to the positive aspects of our educational system. Teacher quality—recruitment as well as retention—ranks high on every educational agenda in the state.
The program pays tribute to California's teaching force, the complexity of challenges that confront our schools, and the need to promote colloboration and teamwork to meet those challenges. The process results in the annual selection of five experienced teachers who reflect the diversity of our teachers and students.
Many of California's Teachers of the Year have gone on to become National Teacher of the Year recipients or finalists.
The 2019 application information will be coming out soon.
- 2017 Honorees
- 2016 Honorees
- 2015 Honorees
- 2014 Honorees
- 2013 Honorees
- 2012 Honorees
- 2011 Honorees
- 2010 Honorees
- Previous Honorees
- San Diego Teacher Finalist for National Teacher of the Year 2017
- 2017 Announcement
- LAUSD Teacher Named National Teacher of the Year Finalist 2016
- 2016 Announcement
- 2015 Announcement
- 2014 Announcement
- 2013 Announcement
- 2012 Announcement
- Program Overview
- Eligibility, Application, and Selection
- District and County Office Participation
- Teacher of the Year Duties
- Comments from Past Participants
- National Teacher of the Year Program
- CalEdFacts Individual Awards/Recognition Programs Section
California Department of Education's information and media guide about education in the State of California. For information on other topics, visit the full CalEdFacts.
2018 Sponsors and Special Friends
We are grateful for the sponsors and partners who join us in recognizing our outstanding California Teachers of the Year.
- California Casualty
—Headquartered in San Mateo, California Casualty is proud to sponsor the CDE’s School Recognition program because we are committed to education and have supported California teachers and students at school, in the community and behind the wheel for over 60 years.
It is an honor to recognize educators who make a difference every day for our children. It takes real commitment to go far above and beyond to help students reach their full potential. Follow the link above to learn more about California Casualty and our sponsorship of the California Department of Education’s California School Recognition Program.
- California Teachers of the Year Foundation
- California Masonic Foundation
- California School Employees Association
- Educational Testing Service
- Schools First Federal Credit Union
2018 Program Information and Application
- 2018 Timeline of Activities
- Instructions for County Coordinators
- How to Use the Application Fill-In Form
- Application Instructions (DOC)
- Application Form (DOC)