WPJAC Agenda November 26, 2018The Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee (WPJAC) will address college and career pathways that target California’s regional economies.
California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee Members
State Board of Education Representatives
Ting Sun, Chair
Community Colleges Chancellor's Office Board of Governors Representatives
Jolena Grande, Vice Chair
Gustavo Herrera, Young Invincibles
David Rattray, Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
|Schedule of Meeting||Location|
* Monday, November 26, 2018
California Department of Education
Please see the detailed agenda for more information about the items to be considered and acted upon. The public is welcome. This meeting will not be broadcast, interested parties should plan to attend the meeting in person.
All meeting materials are available at this meeting. Interested parties that are not able to attend this meeting in person may request to receive all meeting materials by contacting Lisa Reimers, by e-mail at email@example.com, or by telephone at 916-322-1762.
ALL TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE AND ARE PROVIDED FOR CONVENIENCE ONLY
ALL ITEMS MAY BE HEARD IN A DIFFERENT ORDER THAN HOW THEY ARE LISTED ON THE AGENDA
THE ORDER OF BUSINESS MAY BE CHANGED WITHOUT NOTICE
The California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee will hold a one-day meeting on Monday, November 26, 2018, at the location indicated above. The meeting may include some activities involving the Committee as a whole and others involving one or more of the Committee’s sub-committees. The following outline of activities is provided for convenience only. The actual order of business may be changed without notice by the Chair, or designee, to accommodate the needs of members, invited presenters, and key staff. Anyone interested in a particular matter should plan on being in attendance for the whole meeting, November 26, 2018. Timing and order of activities may change. The full Committee and its various sub-committees may commence, recess, and reconvene as necessary throughout the scheduled meeting.
THE AGENDA LISTING IS ILLUSTRATIVE OF THE MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED, BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARILY EXHAUSTIVE
The agenda for the California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee meeting will involve the full scope of its statutory responsibilities, which serves as the joint policy recommending body that makes recommendations to the State Board of Education (SBE), and the Board of Governors (BOG) of the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO) regarding all aspects of the coordinated delivery of career technical education (CTE) programs and workforce pathways in the state including strengthening, improving, expanding, and evaluating programs and services. The Committee is comprised of equal members from the SBE and the BOG. The Committee reserves the right to consider specific matters and take action within the full scope of its responsibilities.
Time is set aside for individuals desiring to speak on any topic not otherwise on the agenda. Please see the detailed agenda for the Public Session. In all cases, the Chair, or designee, reserves the right to impose time limits on presentations as necessary to ensure that the agenda is completed.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION FOR ANY INDIVIDUAL WITH A DISABILITY
Pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, any individual with a disability or any other individual who requires reasonable accommodation to attend or participate in a meeting or function of the California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory may request assistance by contacting the Career and College Transition Division Office, Attn: Lisa Reimers, 1430 N Street, Suite 4202, Sacramento, CA, 95814, by telephone at 916-322-1762 or by facsimile at 916-327-3879, at least seven days prior to the meeting.
Agenda of California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee
- Welcome (10:00 A.M. - 10:20 A.M.)
- Approval Meeting Minutes
- Purpose of Committee Meetings
- Essential Questions
- What policies and/or principles should the joint committee recommend the state agencies to adopt in order to support the improvement or development of high quality college and career pathways?
- How well are we serving our students with transitions from one system/institution to another, and providing high quality college and career pathways?
- What longitudinal data sharing infrastructure is needed to support and understand trends within student progress, transitions, and the workforce?
- Feedback on the Guiding Principles (10:20 A.M. - 10:30 A.M.)
A presentation on the public feedback received for the guiding principles document.
- California Initiatives (10:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.)
- Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee Guiding Policy Principles and Metrics aligns the proposed metrics in the CTE Incentive Grant and K-12 Strong Workforce Initiatives to the Guiding Policy Principles. This document has been used to analyze the metrics against the Guiding Policy Principles with the purpose of proposing a set of recommendations for the 2018-19 legislation as well as create a proposal for the examination of metrics for inclusion in future years.
- Recommendation for 2018-19 Metrics and Proposal for future metrics
- Donna Wyatt, Director, Career and College Transition Division, California Department of Education (CDE)
- Matt Roberts, Dean, Workforce and Economic Development Division, CCCCO
Lunch (12:00 P.M. - 12:30 P.M.)
- California Initiatives and Metrics Continued (12:30 P.M. - 2:20 P.M.)
Break (2:20 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.
- Public Comment (2:30 P.M. - 2:40 P.M.)
- Discussion and Next Steps (2:40 P.M. - 3:30 P.M.)
- Essential questions
- Proposed Areas of Focus
Below are proposed areas of focus.
- Career Guidance / Counseling
- Dual Enrollment
- Data Sharing
- Work-based Learning
- System Alignment
- Defining and Promoting Quality Career Pathways
- Essential questions
- Schedule of Future Meetings
Meeting Dates for 2019:
- Friday, January 11, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 15, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m
- Friday, May 10, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Friday, July 12, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 13, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 8, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
***ADJOURNMENT OF MEETING***