Transportation Industry Sector Program SummaryThe following provides an overview of the Transportation Industry Sector program and the role of the California Department of Education in support of this program.
The Transportation Industry Sector (TIS) program was designed to assist in the development of curriculum aligned with Common Core State Standards, assessment strategies, and learning opportunities and partnerships for teachers, students, guidance personnel, curriculum planners, and labor partners. The TIS program also provides the tools, resources, strategies, and activities to ensure students are offered both challenging yet rigorous and relevant academic and career related experiences that provide awareness of the many career opportunities available within the TIS.
Services provided by the CDE’s Career Technical Education Leadership Office (CTELO) include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical assistance of industry sector grant recipients to ensure compliance with federal laws and regulations.
- Creation of instructional resources such as Career Path Guides, Model Curriculum Standards, and Integrated Performance Activities.
- The establishment of statewide TIS working groups and advisory committees.
- Review regional and statewide data collected from TIS sector leads.
- The promotion of the integration of academic disciplines and industry-based standards into new and existing TIS curriculum.
- Provide technical assistance and support for TIS program leads for operation funding and leadership direction.
- The promotion of the development and implementation of TIS staff development activities through resources in the form of grants for teacher professional development programs and services.
- The promotion of the inclusion and expansion of TIS activities in SkillsUSA California.
Desired Results for the TIS:
- Useful resources, strategies, activities, and curriculum standards that offer students challenging, relevant academic and career related experiences that create an awareness to the many career opportunities available within the sector.
- Curriculum development, learning opportunities and partnerships that will increase career guidance and educational relevance leading to improved student involvement and achievement and preparation for continued education and careers in the sector.
- TIS working groups and advisory committees.
- Integrated curriculum including industry-based standards and certifications.
- The creation and maintenance of TIS web sites and related links.
The primary funding source which allows the CDE’s CTELO staff time to administer, monitor, advice, and consult on TIS activities is provided through the federal Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006.
TIS curriculum spans grades seven through adult. Transportation related curriculum and programs are provide to students in high schools, adult schools, and Regional Occupational Centers and Programs through the state.
The TIS is Administered by:
Robert Wilson, Education Programs Consultant
Technical Education Leadership Office
Career and College Transition Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4202
Sacramento, CA 95814