2019 U.S. Senate Youth Program InstructionsInstructions for the 2019 U.S. Senate Youth Program Application.
To apply for the 2019 U.S. Senate Youth Program (USSYP), students must meet these minimum eligible qualifications:
- Show demonstrated leadership through public service in elected or appointed positions in which they are actively representing a consituency in organizations related to government, education, public affairs, and/or community service.
- Must be actively serving in qualified leadership positions, enrolled in high school as a junior or senior, and living in California for the entire 2018–2019 academic year.
- Must be a legal permanent resident or citizen of the United States at the time of application.
If the above has been met, then the student must complete Part A and Part B of the USSYP California Qualifying Application and Exam:
- Complete the USSYP California Qualifying Application Form Part A (PDF).
- Attain required signatures from school principal, student, and parent, or guardian.
- Send unofficial student transcripts with a list of all courses plus complete form.
- Submit two letters of recommendation. (one from school and one from an extracurricular organization)
Part A form and required documents must be mailed to CDE and postmarked by Friday, October 5, 2018.Mail Part A of the application packet to:
David Carriker, United States Senate Youth Program
California Department of Education
Office of the State Superintendent
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
- Late applicants will not be considered.
- Application packets received by fax or e-mail will not be considered.
- Incomplete submissions may be disqualified.
- Please do not include additional materials besides the required elements.
- Complete the online USSYP California Student Application Part B and Exam (Online Survey)
- Application Survey deadline closes on Friday, October 5, 2018, at 4 p.m.