2021 U.S. Senate Youth Program InstructionsInstructions for the 2021 U.S. Senate Youth Program Application and Exam
To apply for the 2021 U.S. Senate Youth Program (USSYP), students must meet these minimum qualifications for eligibility:
- Show demonstrated leadership through public service in elected or appointed positions in which they are actively representing a consituency in organizations related to government, education, public affairs, and/or community service.
- Must be actively serving in qualified leadership positions, enrolled in high school as a junior or senior, and living in California for the entire 2020–2021 academic year.*
- Must be a legal permanent resident or citizen of the United States at the time of application.
* NOTE: If students are unable to hold leadership positions this year due to the pandemic, they can submit the position they held during the 2019–2020 academic year.
If the above has been met, then the student needs to complete Part A and Part B of the USSYP California Qualifying Application and Exam:
Part A (Application/Nomination Form)
- Complete the USSYP California Qualifying Application/Nomination Form Part A (PDF).
- Attain required signature from school principal.
- Send unofficial student transcripts with a list of all courses.
- Submit two letters of recommendation (one from school and one from an extracurricular organization).
NOTE: Students should begin working on Part A first and gather required signatures and documents.
Part A and required documents must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org using this naming convention:
|Document||Naming Convention||Who Should Submit|
|Part A||Last Name First Name 2021 USSYP Part A||Student or School Principal or Principal's Designee|
|Transcript||Last Name First Name 2021 USSYP Transcript||Student or School Designee|
|Letter of Recommendation||Last Name First Name 2021 USSYP Letter of Rec||Recommender|
- Complete and submit the online USSYP California Student Application Part B and Exam (Online Survey)
- Application Survey deadline closes on Friday, December 18, 2020
NOTE: You can do the survey exam in one sitting or have the ability to save and go back, but please allow adequate time to complete the entire application and exam.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- Incomplete submissions may be disqualified.
- Additional materials besides the required elements will not be evaluated.