Foundations of Nutrition: MyPlateThe School Nutrition Program Foundations of Nutrition: MyPlate online training.
Learn about the MyPlate recommendations for a healthier lifestyle and how to apply them to everyday choices. Resources to transfer the concepts and key messages to students through classroom events and activities are also included. Finally, participants reflect on the MyPlate communication message calendar and identify classroom and after school activities to support key messages.
- Course Number: 040
- Training Length: 30 minutes
- Certificate: Available at the end of the training
- Target Audience: Food Service Director and Staff
- Mandatory: No
- Cost: Free
- Date Recorded: August 2017
Begin the Foundations of Nutrition: My Plate course.
The following resources are referred to throughout this online course:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Choose MyPlate Coloring Sheet - Blank (PDF) handout
- USDA Choose MyPlate Coloring Sheet - English
- USDA Choose MyPlate Coloring Sheet - Spanish
- Action for Healthy Kids Healthy Celebrations
- USDA Choose MyPlate Daily Checklist - 2,400 Calories
- USDA Choose MyPlate Graphic Resources
- USDA Choose My Plate Tools
- USDA Choose My Plate Resources
- USDA Move to Low-fat Dairy
- USDA Make Half Your Grains Whole
- USDA What's Shaking Infographic (PDF)
- USDA Vary Your Protein Routine
- Crediting: 0.50 hours
- Key Area:
- Training Topic:
General Nutrition (1300)
- Learning Objective: MyPlate (1310)
- Training Topic: General Nutrition (1300)
For more information on crediting, access the USDA web document Professional Standards Learning Objectives (PDF).
For more information regarding the MyPlate recommendations, visit the California Department of Education (CDE) NSLP and SBP Meal Patterns web page.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and USDA 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
provides an Executive Summary, five over arching Guidelines, and supporting Key Recommendations.
- USDA Choose MyPlate
Guidance System provides access to a wealth of information and tools for personalizing your MyPlate plan.
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
provides information about the federal government’s 2008 physical activity guidelines for Americans.
- USDA Team Nutrition
provides classroom nutrition education or school food services resources. Get free materials for teaching about MyPlate and ideas for local school wellness policies.
- USDA Serving Up MyPlate: A Yummy Curriculum classroom lessons to help teachers integrate nutrition education into math, science, English language arts, and health. This curriculum introduces the importance of eating from all five food groups using MyPlate. Students also learn the importance of physical activity to stay healthy. Each Teacher's Guide has three inquiry-driven lessons to teach nutrition, check students' understandings, and provide opportunities for students to reflect upon their learning. Songs, posters, and parent materials in English and Spanish are included (USDA 2013).
If you have any questions, please contact the CDE Nutrition Services Division by phone at 800-952-5609 or by email at HHFKA@cde.ca.gov.