COVID-19 Foster Youth ResourcesInformation and resources regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) and California's Foster Youth.
California Department of Education COVID-19 Guidance
All County Letter from CDSS
COVID-19 Related Guidance from Federal Agencies
- New: CDC Considerations for K-12 Schools: Readiness and Planning Tool
The CDC has released a new readiness assessment and planning tool (PDF) for schools to prevent and stop the spread of COVID-19 in schools. School administrators may review and complete the general readiness assessment while working with state, local, tribal, territorial, or federal officials when making initial preparations to promote healthy behaviors, environments, and operations that reduce the spread of COVID-19. Planning tools are also included to help school administrators prepare to respond if someone gets sick and to identify special considerations specific to their school community. Implementation should be guided by what is feasible, practical, acceptable, and tailored to the needs and context of each community.
- New: CMS FAQ on COVID-19
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released an updated FAQ on June 30, 2020 (PDF). It includes several key questions and answers questions on school-based Medicaid. While much of this information reiterates previous versions, please be sure to share any reactions or questions with us so that we can help track responses and additional clarifications needed.
- New: U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services document on obtaining parental consent electronically
ED’s Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services Programs has released a question and answer document (PDF) stating that schools may obtain parental consent electronically for special education services and for Medicaid claiming. This document does not impose any additional requirements beyond those included in applicable law and regulations.
Department of Social Services Foster Youth Guidance and Resources
- Guidance For The Resource Family Approval (RFA) Program Due To COVID-19 Impacts (PDF)
- Verification Of Foster Care Status To Facilitate Foster Youth Access To Cell Phones To Mitigate The Impacts Of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Guidance Regarding Extended Foster Care Program Flexibilities Due To COVID-19 Impacts (PDF)
- COVID-19 Guidance Regarding Reassessment And Redetermination Requirements For Federal Adoption Assistance Program (AAP) And The Kinship-Guardianship Assistance Payment (KIN-GAP) Program (PDF)
- Guidance For County Placement Agencies Regarding Outreach To Foster Caregivers 65 Years Of Age Or Older During The COVID-19 State Of Emergency (PDF)
- This all county letter provides information to foster families, tribes, and other providers for what they should do when a foster youth tests positive or has signs of COVID (PDF)
- Safeguarding Children Through Distance Learning
- The California Alliance of Child and Family Services and the UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education held "The Engagement in Distance Learning" Webinar last week
- The California PBIS Coalition is offering free webinars for educators
- John Burton Advocates for Youth (JBAY) COVID-19 Resources
- Click here for various mental health resources related to children and COVID-19 (PDF)
- The Department of Public Health has resources and guidance for families with children with special health care needs
- California Department of Education (CDE) and California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Guidance for schools regarding the Coronavirus (PDF)
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- California Department of Social Services (CDSS)
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Department of Health Care Services (DHCS)
Questions: Integrated Student Support and Program Office | FOSTERYOUTH@cde.ca.gov | 916-319-0836
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, July 28, 2020