Equal Opportunity & AccessDiscloses the practices of the California Department of Education to ensure equal, fair, and meaningful access to its employment and program services.
The California Department of Education supports high-quality educational programs for California's diverse student population through its educational leadership role and places great importance on cultivating a diverse staff that understands and promotes the intellectual, ethical, cultural, emotional, and physical growth of each student. The California Department of Education, Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) is charged with ensuring compliance with State and Federal civil rights laws, and regulations in CDE employment and delivery of education services.
- Duty to Protect Students
- Legal Advisory
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Nondiscrimination In Public Schools Brochure (DOC; Posted 29-Jan-2016)
- Education Equity Uniform Complaint Procedures Office Annual Summaries
- Free Appropriate Education to Students with Disabilities
- Gender Equity/Title IX
- Title IX Coordinator Notification Letter
- Resolution of discrimination and harassment complaints
Uniform Complaints Procedures for pupils, parents, teachers, and community.
- Civil Rights Requirement for Career Technical and Education (CTE) Programs
- Athletes' Bill of Rights (English)
Athletes' Bill of Rights (Spanish) - Derochos del Atleta (Espanol)
Enumerates the rights available to a pupil relating to gender equity in athletics.
- Language Services - Providing services to non or limited-English speaking individuals.
- Education Equity Reviews (Statewide Monitoring) - Monitoring for education equity.
Resources and Information
Curricula and Lesson Plans
- Subjects of discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying require a comprehensive approach that is more in-depth from isolated lessons.
Organizations that Support Youth
- Below is a regional list of California organizations providing support to the youth and their families who have been subjected to school-related discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying. This also includes resources for youths affected by gangs, gun violence, and psychological trauma caused by violence at home, school, and in the community.
If any other organizations should be included on one or more of the regional lists below, please contact our office at 916-445-9174 or submit a suggestion via e-mail at email@example.com.
The California Department of Education (CDE) provides these lists of support organizations for individuals or families seeking assistance with discrimination, harassment, intimidation, bullying and youths affected by gangs, gun violence, and psychological trauma caused by violence at home, school, and in the community, with questions or concerns. In providing these links, the CDE does not endorse and makes no guarantees or warranties whatsoever concerning the linked Web sites nor any organizations or individuals associated with these Web sites. Individuals or families considering utilizing any of these support organizations are encouraged to conduct sufficient research to determine which organization(s) are suitable for their specific situation and needs.
The State of California, Department of Education (CDE), is committed to ensuring equal, fair, and meaningful access to employment and education services. The CDE does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis and/or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics of age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy and related conditions, race, religion, retaliation, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by California state and federal nondiscrimination laws respectively. Not all bases of discrimination will apply to both education services and employment. The Office of Equal Opportunity is charged with overseeing, leading, and directing the CDE’s efforts to meet the legal obligations set forth in state and federal civil rights laws, and regulations in CDE employment and delivery of education services. Inquiries regarding nondiscrimination and civil rights should be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
California Department of Education Links
Below are links to other California Department of Education division and office Web pages with programs regarding: