OrganizationDepartment offices and links to Web pages where more information is available.
An overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) showing branches and divisions.
Branches and Divisions
State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education -- Tony Thurmond
Co-Chief Deputy Superintendents of Public Instruction -- Mary Nicely and Nancy Kim Portillo
Information & Technology Branch -- Mary Nicely
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Rodney Okamoto, Director
Instruction, Measurement & Administration Branch -- Cheryl Cotton, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, and collection and reporting of educational data.
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Dr. Mao Vang, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Dr. Mike Torres, Director
- Educator Excellence & Equity Division -- Monique McWayne, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Nancy Hlibok-Amann, Director
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Randi Thompson, EEO Officer
Legal, Audits and Charters Branch -- Len Garfinkel, General Counsel
- Legal Division
- Virginia Jo Dunlap, Chief Counsel II
- Vacant, Chief Counsel I
- Bruce Yonehiro, Chief Counsel I
- Audits & Investigations Division -- Alice Lee, Director
- Charter Schools Division -- Susan Park, Director
Opportunities for All Branch -- Sarah Neville-Morgan, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Helps all students—from infant and toddlers to adults—to fulfill their goals by supporting teachers, educators, and school and district leaders while celebrating diversity and embracing inclusion before, during, and after school.
- Early Education Division -- Stephen Propheter, Director
- Expanded Learning Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Multilingual Support Division -- Alesha Moreno-Ramirez, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Kim Frinzell, Director
- Special Education Division -- Vacant, Director
Operations & Administration Branch -- Abel Guillen, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Leisa Maestretti, Director
- Human Resources Division -- Chaunda Bell, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Juan Mireles, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Elizabeth Dearstyne, Director
Strategy, Policy & Special Projects Branch -- Dr. Erika Torres
Student Achievement Branch -- Nancy Kim Portillo
- Student Achievement & Support Division -- William McGee, Director
Student Support Services Branch -- Steve Zimmer, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Formerly known as the Equity Branch, this branch includes a newly formed Whole Child Division as well as a focus on college and career transition, student achievement and support, and oversees our newly created counseling coalition to help support CDE’s organizational development around building counseling, social emotional learning (SEL), and other whole child programs. This branch has been specifically designed and named (including the addition of a health and mental health program) to better reflect the important work of the three divisions in this branch and to align work to strengthen the student supports we have built during the pandemic.
- Career & College Transition Division -- Peter Callas, Director
- Whole Child Division -- Vacant, Director
Superintendent's Initiatives Branch -- Vacant, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the State Superintendent's initiatives and scheduling as well as communications and government affairs.
- Communications Division -- Elizabeth Sanders, Director
- Government Affairs Division -- Amy Tang-Paterno, Director