ESSA Initial State Plan DevelopmentThis web page houses documents and resources applicable to the initial development of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) State Plan for historical and informational purposes.
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) contains the latest ESSA State Plan and information regarding California's plan to implement the federal ESSA. The following links are prior drafts for historical and documentation purposes.
- November 2018 ESSA State Plan Draft (DOCX)
- Draft ESSA State Plan Executive Summary
- April 2018 ESSA State Plan Draft (DOCX)
- March 2018 ESSA State Plan Draft (DOCX)
- January 2018 ESSA State Plan (Accessible) (DOCX) | January 2018 ESSA State Plan (Tracked Changes) (DOCX)
Please note that the two versions listed above provide identical content, but are displayed using two different formats. The Accessible version is compliant with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and uses custom tags to show content updates for better accessibility. The Tracked Changes version uses the Track Changes feature to show content updates of the document as requested by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) for resubmission of the ESSA State Plan.
- September 2017 ESSA State Plan - State Board of Education (SBE) Approved - Submitted (DOC; 1MB)
- August 2017 ESSA State Plan Draft (DOC; 1MB)
- May 2017 ESSA State Plan Draft Sections
- Revisions to April 28, 2017 ESSA State Plan Draft (DOC)
- April 28, 2017 ESSA State Plan Draft for SBE Public Comment Authorization (DOC; 1MB)
(Attachment 1 of SBE Agenda Item 03)
- November 2016 ESSA State Plan Draft Sections
The following links are for historical and documentation purposes only.
- ESSA State Plan Development Opportunities
- Policy Input Meeting Materials
- Facilitator Instructions
- Stakeholder Toolkits
Letters from the CDE to Local Educational Agencies (LEAs)
- October 12, 2017: Educational Stability Requirements for Students in Foster Care
- September 11, 2017: ESSA – Update #9
- July 14, 2017: ESSA – Update #8
- May 11, 2017: Public Comment Period for Draft of California's ESSA State Plan
- February 22, 2017: Federal Funding to Support Arts Education
(updated on 31-Aug-17 to address minor typographical errors)
- February 9, 2017: ESSA – Update #7
- January 18, 2017: ESSA – Update #6
- November 15, 2016: ESSA – Update #5
- May 23, 2016: ESSA – Update #4
- April 15, 2016: ESSA – Update #3
- February 29, 2016: ESSA – Update #2
- January 14, 2016: ESSA – Update #1
CDE ESSA Presentations
- April 19, 2019 ESSA Stakeholder Input Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- February 2017 ESSA State Plan Stakeholder Policy Input Meetings Presentation (PDF)
- Regional Stakeholder Meeting Presentation (PDF; Updated 30-Jun-2016)
Presented at various locations across the state in June 2016.
- California ESSA Webinar for Education Stakeholders and Public
On May 26 and June 1, 2016, the CDE, with support from the Comprehensive Center at WestEd, hosted an informational webinar to provide an overview of the ESSA and an update on the development of the ESSA State Plan. For access to the webinar recording and materials, please contact ESSA@cde.ca.gov.
- 2016 Title I Conference ESSA Update (PDF) Presented on March 1, 2016.
ESSA Proposed Regulations
Final regulations can be found on the CDE ESSA web page.
- SSPI and SBE President Joint Response to Proposed Supplement, Not Supplant Regulations (Dated 08-Nov-2016)
Letters from ED
- Memorandum to Title I Directors Regarding the Timeline for Implementing the New Title I Supplement, Not Supplant Requirements (PDF; Posted 27-Dec-2017)
- Dear Colleague Letter on per-pupil expenditures reporting (PDF; Dated 28-Jun-2017)
- Dear Colleague Letter on School Support and Improvement Activities and Consultation (PDF; Dated 10-Apr-2017)
- Letter to states regarding updated consolidated state plans (Dated 13-Mar-2017)
- Letter to states regarding consolidated state plans (Dated 10-Feb-2017)
- Dear Colleague Letter on 2017-2018 Transition (PDF; Dated 13-Jan-2017)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Implementation of Educational Stability Requirements (PDF; Dated 05-Dec-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on ESSA State Plans (PDF; Dated 29-Nov-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter regarding LEA consultation with tribal stakeholders (PDF; Dated 27-Sep-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on ESSA Transition Technical Assistance and Resources (PDF; Dated 05-Aug-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter regarding using federal funds to improve student outcomes in humanities (Dated 13-Jul-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Foster Care Guidance (PDF; Dated 23-Jun-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Foster Care Timelines (PDF; Dated 23-Jun-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Stakeholder Engagement (Dated 22-Jun-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Using Federal Funds, Including ESSA, to Support Innovative STEM Education Strategies (PDF; Dated 13-Apr-2016)
- Letter to Superintendent Torlakson and SBE President Kirst on Supplemental Education Services, Public School Choice, and the Related Notice to Parents for the 2016-2017 School Year (PDF; Dated 05-Feb-2016)
- Letter to Chief State School Officers on Testing in the Every Student Succeeds Act (PDF; Dated 02-Feb-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Use of FY 2016 Formula Funds in the 2016-2017 School Year (PDF; Dated 28-Jan-2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter on Transition to ESSA (PDF; Dated 18-Dec-2015)
- Dear Colleague Letter on New ESSA Law (Dated 10-Dec-2015)