Bilingual Teacher TrainingRepository archive entry for the Bilingual Teacher Training program in the Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) Section of the CDE Web site.
Added to Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) on May 11, 2017.
This information is for historical purposes only and it is possible that information contained here may not be current.
- Funded through 2012–13
- Effective 2013–14, the Bilingual Teacher Training Program (BTTP) was subsumed into the local control funding formula.
- California Education Code (EC) sections 52180–52186
Source of Appropriation/Budget Act Item
- Budget Act Item 6110-193-0001
- The BTTP funds were provided to support schools and districts in preparing teachers, kindergarten through grade twelve, for California Commission on Teacher Credentialing authorization to provide instructional services to English learners. The training prepared teachers in the appropriate methodologies to facilitate English learners’ acquisition of English and academic development.
- There were 14 county offices of education that served as regional training centers. These were the only local educational agencies eligible to apply for the BTTP funds. The regional training centers were required to apply for the BTTP on an annual basis. Grants were awarded based on the number of participants and the funding formula was based on prior year data for each regional training center and evaluative criteria demonstrating the center’s ability to provide appropriate training services.
SACS Resource/Revenue Codes
- 7275 / 8590
- EC Section 42605 authorized complete flexibility for this funding for fiscal years 2008–09 through 2012–13. During those years, a county office of education could use funds received for any educational purpose.
Questions: California Department of Education | 916-319-0800
Last Reviewed: Thursday, September 24, 2020