Community Based English TutoringRepository archive entry for the Community Based English Tutoring (CBET) program in the Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) Section of the CDE Web site.
Added to Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) on May 29, 2015.
This information is for historical purposes only and it is possible that information contained here may not be current.
- Funded through 2012–13
- Effective 2013–14, the CBET program was subsumed into the local control funding formula.
- California Education Code (EC) sections 315–317
- California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 11315, 11315.5 and 11315.6
Source of Appropriation/Budget Act Item
- Budget Act Item 6110-227-0001
- The CBET program supported free or subsidized English language (EL) instruction to parents or other community members who pledged to provide EL tutoring to California school children with limited English proficiency. The funds could be used for direct program services, community notification processes, transportation services, and background checks related to the tutoring program.
- Funding was allocated by formula and was based on the most recent annual Language Census Report (R30-LC). The appropriated funds were prorated according to the number of EL students enrolled in the participating local educational agencies.
SACS Resource/Revenue Codes
- 6285 / 8590
- EC Section 42605 authorized complete flexibility for this funding for fiscal years 2008–09 through 2012–13. During those years, a school district, county office of education, or charter school could use funds received for any educational purpose.
Questions: California Department of Education | 916-319-0800
Last Reviewed: Thursday, September 24, 2020