Physical Education Teacher Incentive ProgramRepository archive entry for the Physical Education Teacher Incentive program in the Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) Section of the CDE Web site.
Added to Programs No Longer Administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) on January 12, 2018.
This information is for historical purposes only and it is possible that information contained here may not be current.
- Funded through 2012–13
- Effective 2013–14, the Physical Education Teacher Incentive Program was subsumed into the local control funding formula.
- Provisional language in Budget Item 6110-260-0001
Source of Appropriation/Budget Act Item
- Budget Act Item 6110-260-0001
- Physical Education Teacher Incentive program funding supported ongoing incentive grants for school districts to hire more credentialed physical education teachers in elementary and middle schools, kindergarten through grade eight. The purpose of the program was to help address the rising incidence of obesity and its effects by ensuring that schools have trained experts to provide the required number of instructional minutes in physical education. The funds were to be used to hire credentialed staff to help kids develop healthy life-long exercise habits.
Local educational agencies (LEAs), including direct-funded charter schools, were required to apply for funds on behalf of their eligible schools. Schools were selected for funding at random while also ensuring an equitable distribution of funds statewide based on type of school, size and geographic location. Funding for each LEA was based on a specified amount for each selected school site.
SACS Resource/Revenue Codes
- 6258 / 8590
- California Education Code Section 42605 authorized complete flexibility for this funding for fiscal years 2008–09 through 2012–13. During those years, a school district, county office of education or charter school could use funds received for any educational purpose.
Questions: California Department of Education | 916-319-0800
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, March 22, 2022
Share this Page
Trending in Programs No Longer Administered by CDE
Recently Posted in Programs No Longer Administered by CDE