Student Accessibility Resources
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) and English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) provide a full range of assessment resources for all students, including those who are English learners and students with disabilities. These resources ensure that the assessments meet the needs of all students. Teachers are encouraged to review these resources early in the school year and provide opportunities for students to experience these resources throughout the year in classroom instruction and assessment.
Some resources are embedded into the technology platform for the computer-administered CAASPP and ELPAC tests. Other resources are considered non-embedded since they are provided by the local educational agency (LEA). The following list defines the four different categories of student accessibility resources:
- Universal toolsare available toallstudents on the basis of student preference and selection.
- Designated supportsare available toallstudents when determined for use by an educator or team of educators (with parent/guardian and student input, as appropriate) or specified in the student’s individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan.
- Accommodationsmust be permitted on CAASPP and ELPAC tests to all eligible students if specified in the student’s IEP or Section 504 plan.
- Unlisted resourcesare non-embedded and shall be made available if specified in the eligible student’s IEP or Section 504 plan and only on approval by the California Department of Education (CDE)
Learn more about student accessibility resources by selecting the links below:
California Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix displays the embedded and non-embedded universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations allowed for the CAASPP and ELPAC.
Unlisted Resources for CAASPP and ELPAC (PDF) This guide provides information about who can use unlisted resources, how to request an unlisted resource, and the impact on student scores.
Braille Hybrid Adaptive Test provides a secure mathematics summative assessment option for LEAs to make available to students who use braille.
CAASPP Portal: Student Accessibility Resources and Test Settings provide links to manuals, instructions, and other resources related to accessibility.
Smarter Balanced Student Accessibility Resources provides resources to help educators understand Smarter's approach to assessment accessibility and to implement the use of the universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations for CAASPP.
Accessibility Strategies for Teaching and Learning (PDF) provides a description of what accessibility resources look like in direct and indirect teaching and learning environments.
Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile web-based tool that can be used to identify accessibility resources for CAASPP and ELPAC. This tool can also generate a file, to be uploaded in Test Operations Management System (TOMS), that will assign test settings for multiple students prior to testing.
Use The ISAAP Tool (PDF) flyer explains the many features available in the ISAAP tool.
Effective Use of Accessibility Resources(PDF) flyer that explains the optional process for providing appropriate accessibility resources to students.
Accessibility Resources Planning Tool (PDF) organizes many of the accessibility resources that are available for the CAASPP and ELPAC according to their connection with the Universal Design for Learning guidelines.
2022–23 California Student Assessment Accessibility Graphics
- English Language Arts/Literacy (PDF)
- Mathematics (PDF)
- Science (PDF)
- California Spanish Assessment (PDF)
- English Language Proficiency Assessments for California
English Language Proficiency and Spanish Assessments Office | email@example.com