World Languages StandardsInformation and resources related to World Languages Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
World Languages Standards Development
The California Department of Education (CDE), Instructional Quality Commission (IQC), and State Board of Education (SBE) commenced the process for revising the California World Languages (WL) Standards in October 2016. Per Assembly Bill 2290, Chapter 643, Education Code (EC) Section 60605.5 requires the Superintendent, in consultation with the IQC, to recommend to the state board revisions to the World Language Standards for California Public Schools adopted by the state board in 2009 pursuant to Section 60605.3.
- 2019 World Languages Standards Timeline
The Schedule of Significant Events, or Timeline, for the revision of the 2019 WL Standards was approved by the SBE on September 13, 2017.
SBE-Adopted WL Standards Pre-Publication
The IQC approved and recommended the draft standards to the SBE on November 16, 2018. The SBE approved the IQC recommendation and adopted the standards at the January 9–10, 2019 SBE meeting. The revised standards are titled California World Languages Standards for Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve. To download the pre-publication standards approved by the SBE, select the link below.
Public Review Comments of the Draft WL Standards (DOCX)
This chart includes public comments received during the 60-day public review period. The comments were presented to the IQC for discussion on November 15–16, 2018.
WL Standards Advisory Committee
- World Languages Standards Advisory Committee (WL SAC) Members
On January 18, 2018, the SBE appointed 20 members to the WL SAC. The WL SAC will assist the Superintendent in developing recommendations for revisions to the WL Standards.
- Guidelines for the Revision of the World Language Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
On January 18, 2017, the SBE approved guidelines to direct the work of the WL SAC.
WL SAC Meeting Agendas and Notices
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: June 28 –29, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: May 24 –25, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: March 20 –21, 2018
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: February 1
Focus Group Report
- World Language Standards Focus Group Report (DOCX)
The focus group report summarizes the comments received at the three focus group meetings.
- California 2009 World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF)
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languagesd
- Summary of World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- California English Language Development Standards: Kindergarten Through Grade 12 (CA ELD Standards) (PDF)
- California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) (PDF)
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- Join the World Languages listserv
Receive notifications of updates regarding the World Languages Standards and the World Languages Framework development process.