CWPJAC Agenda November 19, 2021California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee (CWPJAC) will address college and career pathways that target California’s regional economies.
California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee Members
State Board of Education Representatives
- Jim McQuillen
- Patricia Rucker
- Ting Sun, Vice Chair
Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office Board of Governors Representatives
- Jolena Grande
- Bill Rawlings, Chair
- Joseph Williams
- Kristin McGuire, Young Invincibles
- David Rattray, Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
When: Friday, November 19, 2021, 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time ±
Where: California Department of Education
This meeting will not be held in person, the meeting will be held via audio/video teleconference.
Phone Number: 916-322-1762
All times are approximate and are provided for convenience only.
The order of business may be changed without notice.
Items may be heard in a different order than how they are listed on the agenda.
The CWPJAC will hold a one-day, virtual meeting on Friday, November 19, 2021. The meeting may include some activities involving the CWPJAC, and others involving one or more of the CWPJAC’s sub-committees. The following outline of activities is provided for convenience only. The actual order of business may be changed without notice by the Chair, or designee, to accommodate the needs of members, invited presenters, and key staff. Anyone interested in a specific Agenda Item or other related matter should plan on virtually participating in the entire meeting on November 19, 2021. The CWPJAC and any of its sub-committees may commence, recess, and reconvene as necessary throughout the scheduled meeting.
The agenda listing is illustrative of the matters to be considered, but it is not necessarily exhaustive.
The agenda for the CWPJAC meeting will involve the full scope of its statutory responsibilities, which serves as the joint advisory body that makes recommendations to the State Board of Education (SBE) and the Board of Governors (BOG) of the California Community Colleges regarding aspects of the coordinated delivery of career technical education programs and workforce pathways in the state including strengthening, improving, expanding, and evaluating programs and services. The CWPJAC is comprised of equal members from the SBE and the BOG. The CWPJAC reserves the right to consider specific matters and act within the full scope of its responsibilities.
Time is set aside for individuals desiring to speak on any topic not otherwise on the agenda. Please see the detailed agenda for the Public Comment session. In all cases, the Chair, or designee, reserves the right to impose time limits on presentations as necessary to ensure that the agenda is completed.
Reasonable Accommodation for Any Individual with a Disability
Pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, any individual with a disability or any other individual who requires reasonable accommodation to attend or participate in a meeting or function of the CWPJAC may request assistance by contacting the CDE, Career and College Transition Division, Tara Neilson, Education Programs Consultant, at 1430 N Street, Suite 4202, Sacramento, CA, 95814, via telephone, 916-445-5568; email, firstname.lastname@example.org; or facsimile, 916-327-3879, at least seven days prior to the meeting.
CWPJAC Meeting Logistics
On March 17, 2020, Governor Gavin Newsom issued Executive Order N-29-20 related to the Coronavirus 19 pandemic. The Executive Order allows state bodies covered by the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act (Act) to hold public meetings covered by the Act via web and/or audio teleconferencing. As such, the November 19, 2021, CWPJAC meeting will be held as an audio/video teleconference and will have a live webcast.
Access the Live CWPJAC Meeting Webcast
Live meeting link will be added prior to meeting.
Access the CWPJAC Meeting VIA Zoom
Register in advance for this webinar using Zoom.
CWPJAC Zoom Registration [Note: the preceding link is no longer valid]
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. When logging into Zoom, please use your first and last name to provide public comment.
Dial in to the CWPJAC Meeting
Conference Dial-in Number: 712-770-4906, Participant Access Code: 1166083#
When invited to provide public comment, please dial *6 to join the queue to provide public comment.
The public is highly encouraged to submit written comment to the CWPJAC members in advance for prior consideration. To do so, please submit comments by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 12, 2021. Comments can be submitted to Path2Work@cde.ca.gov. In your email please include the following: 1) your name; 2) your affiliation, if any; 3) agenda item number (i.e., Item 01); and 4) public comment.
Public comment on the day of the meeting can also be given as provided below:
Day of Meeting Public Comment Instructions:
- Members of the public who watch the live meeting webcast can submit public comment during the public comment period. Submit your comment to the CWPJAC mailbox at Path2Work@cde.ca.gov. CDE staff will read your public comment. Please include the following in your email message: 1) agenda item number (i.e., Item 01); 2) your name; 3) your affiliation, if any; and 4) public comment. Please note that written comments that are read aloud will be subject to the time limits prescribed by the presiding officer, which may result in a lengthy comment not being read in its entirety.
- Members of the public who join via Zoom can give public comment during the public comment period. Use the “Q and A” text box to provide public comment. CDE staff will read your public comment during the public comment period. Please include your first and last name; affiliation, if any; and then type in your public comment.
- Members of the public that dial in to the meeting can give public comment during the public comment period. The presiding officer will ask if any phone participants want to give public comment. At that time, phone participants will enter *6 on their phone and be placed in a queue. You will be prompted when it is your turn to provide public comment. At that time, please state the following: 1) your name; 2) your affiliation, if any, and 3) your public comment.
- Individuals wishing to provide public comment may only give comment for themselves and not provide comment on behalf of another individual or group.
- Individuals wishing to provide public comment will be allotted a prescribed maximum amount of time based upon the number of speakers. In all cases, the presiding officer reserves the right to impose time limits on public comment as may be necessary to ensure that the meeting is completed.
Full Committee Agenda
- Call to Order
- Agenda Items
- Public Comment
- Discussion and Next Steps
Subject: Approval of the California Workforce Pathways Joint Advisory Committee’s September 29, 2021, Preliminary Report of Action.
Type of Action: Information, Action
Subject: This is the second of two Study Sessions on the California State Plan for Career Technical Education led by Jobs for the Future staff.
- Pete Callas, Director of Career & College Transition Division, Education CDE
- Sheneui Weber, Vice Chancellor, WEDD, CCCCO
- Charlotte Cahill, Senior Director, Jobs for the Future (JFF)
- Daniel Trujillo, Associate Director, JFF
Type of Action: Information
Subject: The Career Technical Education Incentive Grant (CTEIG) and the Kindergarten through Grade Twelve Strong Workforce Program (K–12 SWP): Update on the 2021–22 CTEIG Application Process and Timeline; the 2021–22 K–12 SWP Application Process and Timeline; and K–14 Technical Assistance Providers and Workforce Pathways Coordinators.
- Pete Callas, Director of Career & College Transition Division, CDE
- Ioanna Iatridis, Dean, WEDD, CCCCO
Type of Action: Information
Subject: Career Technical Education Data Report and Timeline in Meeting the Career Technical Education Incentive Grant and the Kindergarten through Grade Twelve Strong Workforce Program Data Metrics, Pursuant to California Education Code Sections 53071 and 88828.
- Peter Callas, Director of Career & College Transition Division, CDE
- Colby Franklin, Education Administrator of Career & College Transition Division, CDE
- Jonathan Isler, Education Administrator, Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division (AMARD), CDE
- Thomas Bjorkman, Education Research and Evaluation Consultant, AMARD, CDE
Type of Action: Information
Subject: GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT. Public comment is invited on any matter not included on the printed agenda.
Depending on the number of individuals wishing to address the CWPJAC, the presiding officer may establish specific time limits on presentations.
Type of Action: Information
Discussion and Next Steps
- Student-Centered Delivery of Services
- Equity and Access
- System Alignment
- Continuous Improvement and Capacity Building
- State Priorities and Direction Lead the State Plan
Schedule of Future Meetings
Proposed List of Meeting Dates and Times for 2022:
- Friday, March 25, 2022*
- Thursday, May 5, 2022*
- Friday, September 16, 2022*
- Friday, November 4, 2022*
*These meeting dates are tentative and may be updated throughout the year.