Forgot CARS Password ProcessThis page contains the process to follow if a user has forgotten their Consolidated Application and Reporting System (CARS) password.
First, make sure that your user name is correct. If the user name is incorrect, the system will give an “Invalid logon” message in red lettering. To reset your password:
- Enter your user name.
- Click “Forgot Password” link (this takes you into the Centralized Authentication System [CAS]). The CAS is the California Department of Education's system for establishing a CARS user account, and managing user information.
- Enter your user name in CAS.
- Enter your e-mail address.
- Answer one of the two questions that you chose when you created your user name and password.
- Click Submit.
- A message comes back saying that an e-mail has been sent. If you don’t receive the e-mail in your inbox, please check your junk mail. The e-mail will contain a long Temporary ID, highlight it up to the period, hit Ctrl c (to copy) then click on the link that is in the e-mail. If the link in the e-mail is not a live link, then the link will need to be copied and pasted into a browser before the Temporary ID is copied and pasted into CARS.
- Make sure the cursor is in the Temporary ID field, and hit Ctrl v (to paste).
- Type a new password in the second field. Passwords must meet the following criteria: Be at least eight characters long, one uppercase, one lowercase, one number, and one special character, such as !@#$%^&*.
- Type the new password again in the third field.
- Click the Enter key or Submit button.
If everything was done correctly, the system will indicate in black lettering that your password is successful.
Important Note: CAS is a separate system from CARS. There is not a link from CAS to CARS. Once a password reset is complete the user will need to exit CAS and go to the CARS logon site.