Title V, Part B Authorized Use of FundsTitle V, Part B federal funds address the unique needs of rural local educational agencies.
The California Department of Education (CDE) recommends that local educational agencies (LEAs) consider the following general criteria when approving activities or expenditures supported with Title V, Part B funds:
- The activity/expenditure is aligned to address the unique needs of rural LEAs that frequently lack the personnel and resources needed to compete effectively for federal competitive grants (Every Student Succeeds Act [ESSA] Section 5202);
- The activity/expenditure is aligned to address the unique needs of rural LEAs that frequently receive formula grant allocations in amounts too small to be effective in meeting their intended purposes (ESSA Section 5202);
- The activity/expenditure is reasonable, necessary, and allocable cost to the program (2 Code of Federal Regulations 200.404 - 200.405);
- Title V, Part B funds used supplement the funds that would, in the absence of such funds, be made available from State and local sources, and do not supplant such funds (ESSA Section 5232);
- Title V, Part B funds used are current federal fiscal year or the subsequent fiscal year (General Education Provisions Act Section 420);
- Title V, Part B funds are used for activities authorized under Title I, Part A; Title II, Part A; Title III; Title IV; and parental involvement activities (ESSA Section 5222[a]).
If an expenditure/activity does not meet the above rationale, it is not likely to be an authorized use of Title V, Part B funds.