Resources, Standards, and Language Group DataThe following is a list of Web references related to document translation and parental notification.
This list of Web references provides information about translation guidelines, requirements for document translation, and other translation issues. This list was created by suggestions from local educational agency document translators. Additions or comments about these references can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- California Education Code Section 48985(a) requirement to notify parents in languages other than English
- No Child Left Behind Requirements for parental notification
CDE Translation Glossary in Spanish
To ensure that key terms and titles are translated consistently, translators often refer to a translation glossary. The California Department of Education (CDE) makes available an English-Spanish glossary, which is hosted on the CDE Web site by the Assessment Development and Administration Division. Local educational agencies are free to refer to the glossary, as they wish:
Language Data for Districts and Schools
Prepared by the CDE's Data Reporting Office, these data are a calculation based on information provided by districts to the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) during the Fall 1 data collection and reflecting the status of students on Information Day, the first Wednesday in October. The reports list by language group the number of students speaking a language other than English that constitute15 percent or more of a school's enrollment and for which translations of parental notifications are needed, pursuant to Education Code Section 48985.
- 2016-17 Language Data for Districts and Schools by Language Group
- 2016-17 Language Data for Districts and Schools by County Office Service Regions (XLS)
- How to Use These Data Reports
- Sample Videotaping Agreement and Release Form (English) (DOC) | PDF
- Available Translations of Sample Videotaping Agreement and Release Form
- Sample Video Release Form (English) (DOC) | PDF
- Available Translations of Sample Video Release Form
Translation of Foreign Transcripts
The California Department of Education neither translates nor evaluates transcripts. Persons interested in having a transcript translated may contact the Educational Records Evaluation Service (ERES) . The ERES Web site answers frequently asked questions about transcript evaluation and translation services.
Translation of Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) Template
Translation Resources and Guidelines
- Quality Indicators for Translation and Interpretation in Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve Educational Settings (PDF)
Districts and county offices find this publication to be a helpful resource whenever they plan written and oral communications for a diverse general public. The booklet is especially valuable for educators, parents, and other community members who intend to serve as interpreters and translators, and for staff members who write contracts for language services. Although hard copies of the booklet are currently out of print, this PDF version allows easy access and reference. Questions regarding the publication should be directed to the CDE Language Policy and Leadership Office 916-319-0845.
- English to Spanish Glossary , Los Angeles Unified School District, Translations Unit. Use the Glossary Info link to access the online glossary
- Translation, Getting it Right, A guide to buying translations American Translators Association
Translated California Content Standards
In 1997 and 1998 the California State Board of Education (SBE) adopted academic content standards for California public schools in the areas of English-Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and History-Social Science. The 1998 standards for History-Social Science (PDF) remain current, as does the CMD’s Spanish translation: California History-Social Science Content Standards (Spanish) (DOC).
Beginning in 2010, the SBE replaced academic content standards for English-Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science with the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Science, Science, and Technical Subjects (PDF), the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF), and the Next Generation Science Standards for California Public Schools.
- Spanish Language Version: Common Core State Standards in Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
- Spanish Language Version: Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
- Parent Handbook for the California Common Core Standards