Legislation Impacting ChartersInformation for charter school authorizers, charter schools, and parents regarding the implementation of legislation impacting charter schools.
- Charter School Performance Categories
- Charter School Renewal Terms
- Continuing Charter Schools
- Enrollment Data
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information Memoranda and Agenda Items
- Teacher Credentialing
- Temporary Prohibition on New Nonclassroom-Based Charter Schools
- Verified Data
This web page serves as a centralized location for matters related to the implications and implementation of recent legislation impacting California charter schools, charter authorizers, and interest holders.
Detailed information regarding this subject is available at Performance Categories.
Detailed information regarding this subject is available at Charter School Renewals under the Charter School Renewal Terms Section.
California Education Code sections 47605 and 47605.1 require the California Department of Education (CDE) to treat any charter school that was serving students and must change authorizers as a result of the requirements in Assembly Bill 1507 as “continuing for all purposes.” In order to help identify which charter schools are to be treated as continuing, the CDE has revised the Charter School Number Form. A downloadable copy of the Charter School Number Form as well as detailed information and instructions are available at Charter School Numbers.
Detailed information regarding this subject is available at Enrollment Data.
Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs):
- Independent Study and Charter School Renewals FAQs
Assembly Bill 130 (Chapter 44, Statutes of 2021)
- State Board of Education Appeal Process FAQs
Assembly Bills 1505 and 1507 (Chapter 486, Statutes of 2019)
- Transparency and Conflict of Interest FAQs
Senate Bill 126 (Chapter 3, Statutes of 2019) and EC Section 47604.1
- Universal Prekindergarten and Charter Schools FAQs
Assembly Bill 131 (Chapter 116, Statutes of 2021)
- Verified Data FAQs
Assembly Bill 1505 (Chapter 486, Statutes of 2019)
- Williams Monitoring and Charter Schools FAQs
Assembly Bill 599 (Chapter 667, Statutes of 2021)
Information memoranda and agenda items presented to the California State Board of Education (SBE) regarding AB 1505 and AB 1507:
- Charter School Legislation Updates: AB 1505 and AB 1507 (DOCX; Posted 31-Oct-2019) provides a summary of AB 1505 and AB 1507, as well as the implications of the new legislation on the role of the SBE, the Advisory Commission on Charter Schools (ACCS), and the CDE.
- Implementation Update: AB 1505 and AB 1507 (DOCX; Posted 29-May-2020) provides information and background on the ongoing work of the CDE in conjunction with SBE staff pertaining to the implementation of AB 1505 and AB 1507.
- November 2020 SBE Agenda Item 13 (DOCX; Posted 23-Oct-2020) provides an overview of the CDE's implementation of AB 1505 and AB 1507, specifically as it pertains to the new review standard and process of the SBE and ACCS in the hearing of appeals for the establishment and renewal of charter schools.
- Charter School Appeals to the SBE: Abuse of Discretion Review Standard (DOCX; Posted 30-Jun-2022) provides information on the review standard under which the SBE shall hear charter school appeals.
Updates from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing are available at the following:
- Coded Correspondence 20-01: Changes to Assignment Monitoring Based on the Provisions of AB 1219 (PDF)
- Coded Correspondence 20-02: Changes to the Credential Requirements for Charter School Teachers Based on the Provisions of AB 1505 (PDF)
Detailed information regarding this subject is available at Temporary Prohibition on New Nonclassroom-Based Charter Schools.
Detailed information regarding this subject is available at Verified Data.
Return to Charter Schools