Nonclassroom-Based Determination of FundingInformation for nonclassroom-based charter schools on how to apply for a funding determination.
Enacted by Senate Bill 740 (PDF) (Chapter 892, Statutes of 2001, California Education Code [EC] Section 47612.5 ), charter schools are prohibited from receiving any funding for nonclassroom-based instruction unless the State Board of Education determines its eligibility for funding.
Information and Updates
- Nonclassroom-Based Charter Schools Determination of Funding Requests for the Fiscal Year 2021–22 (Posted 03-Nov-2021)
- Charter School Funding for Nonclassroom-Based Instruction for Fiscal Year 2021–22 (Posted 13-Aug-2021)
Senate Bills 98 and 820 Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions related to Senate Bill (SB) 98 and SB 820.
Temporary Prohibition on New Nonclassroom-Based Charter Schools
Information regarding the temporary prohibition on new nonclassroom-based charter schools from January 1, 2020, to January 1, 2025, per Assembly Bill (AB) 1505 and AB 130 Section 58.
Deadlines to be Heard at the State Board of Education Meeting
Upon receipt of a complete funding determination form, the California Department of Education (CDE) shall review and present the funding determination request to the Advisory Commission on Charter Schools (ACCS) and the State Board of Education (SBE), pursuant to California Code of Regulations, Title 5 (5 CCR) Section 11963.4(a). Funding determination requests will be agendized according to the table below. The following deadlines provide CDE staff adequate time to review all funding determination forms received as well as allow the requests to be heard first at the ACCS meeting occurring the month before each SBE meeting. Waivers to submit funding determination requests after the below deadlines will not be required for existing classroom-based charters seeking a new funding determination:
|Deadline for CDE Receipt of Funding Determination Form||ACCS Meeting||SBE Meeting|
|October 1, 2021||December 14, 2021||January 12–13, 2022|
|December 1, 2021||February 8, 2022||March 9–10, 2022|
|February 1, 2022||April 12, 2022||May 18–19, 2022|
Forms and Instructions
- Nonclassroom-Based Funding Determination Form Instruction Guide - Fiscal Year 2021–22 (PDF)
- Nonclassroom-Based Funding Determination Form - Fiscal Year 2021–22 (PDF)
- Users should download and save the PDF prior to entering data into the form. The recommended program for completing the form is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Existing charter schools that do not currently have an active funding determination should use current year budget data to complete the form.
Nonclassroom-Based Funding Determination Requests by Fiscal Year
Nonclassroom-Based Funding Determination Requests (XLSX; Revised 01-Nov-2021)
A compilation of nonclassroom-based funding determination requests heard by the State Board of Education, or otherwise approved, during fiscal years 2002–03 through 2021–22.
Laws, Regulations, and Guidance
Education Code Statutes
California Code of Regulations, Title 5
Regulations for nonclassroom-based instruction funding determinations may be found at Thomson Reuters WESTLAW California Code of Regulations . Individual codes may be accessed by browsing the code via the drop down menu system or by entering search criteria (i.e. code, title) on the search page.
- 5 CCR Section 11704 Pupil - Teacher Ratio
- 5 CCR Section 11963 Definitions of Classroom Based Instruction
- 5 CCR Section 11963.1 Nonclassroom-Based Instruction in Charter Schools
- 5 CCR Section 11963.2 Average Daily Attendance for Nonclassroom-Based Instruction in Charter Schools
- 5 CCR Section 11963.3 Determination of Funding Request Forms and Calculations
- 5 CCR Section 11963.4 Evaluation of Determination of Funding Requests Regarding Nonclassroom-Based Instruction
- 5 CCR Section 11963.5 Determination of Funding Requests for Nonclassroom-based Virtual or Online Charter Schools
- 5 CCR Section 11963.6 Submission & Action on Determination of Funding Requests Regarding Nonclassroom-Based Instruction
- 5 CCR Section 11963.7 Termination of a Determination of Funding Requests Regarding Nonclassroom-Based Instruction