FYs 2019 and 2020 CSI LEA AFF InstructionsInstructions for local educational agencies (LEAs) using the Grant Management and Reporting Tool (GMART) to submit the 19–20 and 20–21 Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) LEA Application for Funding.
GMART is a web-based platform that allows LEAs to complete and submit applications for funding, modify funding plans, and submit expenditure data.
User names and passwords are emailed to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators. Passwords are case-sensitive and cannot be changed or reset by the LEA. If more than three attempts to log on have been made within one hour, the GMART will lock the user out of the system. If the LEA has forgotten the password, or has been locked out of the system, please contact the School Improvement and Support Office (SISO) by phone at 916-319-0833 or by email at SISO@cde.ca.gov.
GMART Home Page for CSI
For each fiscal year, the GMART home page displays the ESSA CSI LEA application for funding link to initiate the web-based application process. Once selected, the LEA will be redirected to the Application Overview Section to begin completing the application.
The ESSA CSI LEA application for funding is a web-based application that includes an Application Overview and six separate sections. In order to receive ESSA, Section 1003 funding, the eligible LEA must complete and submit the application for funding on or before the due date.
To begin the web-based application, the LEA must first review the Application Overview section. Once the LEA has reached the “Eligibility Requirements” section within the Application Overview, the LEA will select the “Select to Display More Information” button at the bottom of the page to continue. The LEA will repeat this process until it has read all related content in this section. Once all of the information has been reviewed, the LEA must select the “Save and Continue to Section 1” button at the bottom of the page to advance to Section 1 of the application.
The bullets below describe each of the six sections of the application.
- Section 1: Intent to Apply—Each LEA that has a school or schools that meet the criteria for CSI and intends to apply for funding must check the LEA “Intends to apply” check box in Section 1 of the online application. By selecting this check box, the LEA can now select the “Save and Continue to Section 2” button to advance to Section 2 of the application.
If the LEA selects the “Does Not Intend to apply” checkbox, the LEA will advance to Section 6 of the application to certify its intention to not apply for funding and to sign and submit the application.
- Section 2: General Assurances, Certifications, Terms, and Conditions—The LEA must review and adhere to the requirements of the general assurances, certifications, and terms and conditions as a condition of receiving funds. Once all of the information has been reviewed, the LEA must select the “Save and Continue to Section 3” button at the bottom of the page to advance to Section 3 of the application.
- Section 3: LEA Information—The LEA information is prepopulated into the GMART. The LEA must verify the accuracy of its applicant information, including the physical address, the Preliminary LEA Allocation Amount, County/District code, National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES) code, and Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) code. If the information is accurate, the LEA will select the “The LEA Applicant Information is accurate” checkbox. The LEA can now enter contact information for the Primary Grant Coordinator, Secondary Grant Coordinator, and the Fiscal Coordinator by selecting the “Edit Contact Information” button at the bottom of the page. All contact fields must be completed in order to continue to Section 4 of the web-based application. If the LEA has only one Primary Grant Coordinator, it must duplicate that information for the Secondary Grant Coordinator.
- First and Last Name
If the LEA applicant information is inaccurate, the LEA will select “The LEA Applicant Information is inaccurate” checkbox. Please select the “Save and Logoff” button and contact the SISO by phone at 916-319-0833 or by email at SISO@cde.ca.gov for assistance.
- Section 4: Narrative Responses—The LEA must provide complete written responses with a maximum of 500 characters each for Prompts 1 and 2, and 1000 characters each for Prompts 3 and 4. If the LEA will not add additional information to Prompts 1, 2, and/or 4, type NA for the response. Prompt 3 requires a complete response. In order to continue to Section 5, all four prompts must include a response. Once all of the information has been reviewed, the LEA must select the “Save and Continue to Section 5” button at the bottom of the page to advance to Section 5 of the application.
- Section 5: Comprehensive Support and Improvement Preliminary Funding Plan—The LEA must complete a funding plan based on the prepopulated preliminary allocation. The LEA will distribute its preliminary allocation among the schools identified by selecting the “Edit” button under the “LEA Action” column and inputting data into the “Amount of Funds Distributed” column. Once data has been entered, the LEA must select the “Update” button to save the data or the “Cancel” button to cancel the entered data. To continue to Section 6, the preliminary LEA allocation amount must equal the total distributed amount. Once all of the data is accurately entered, the LEA must select the “Save and Continue to Section 6” button at the bottom of the page to advance to Section 6 of the application.
The table below is a display of the proposed Preliminary Funding Plan that the LEA will complete in the GMART.
Preliminary Funding Plan
|LEA Name||Preliminary FY YYYY Allocation Amount|
|SAMPLE Unified (District)||$0.00|
|LEA and School Name||Preliminary FY YYYY Amount of Funds Distributed||LEA Action|
|SAMPLE Unified (District)||$0.00||Edit|
|DEF Middle School||$0.00||Edit|
|GHI High School||$0.00||Edit|
- Section 6: Signatures and Submission—Each LEA must review the terms and conditions, select the necessary checkboxes, and sign the application electronically in order to submit the application. Once the application is submitted by the LEA, a notification will display confirming that the California Department of Education (CDE) has received the application. After submitting the application, the LEA can use the “Print Submitted Application” button to print a copy of the application for its records.
The CDE will review the submitted application. If the application is approved, the LEA primary, secondary, and fiscal grant contacts will receive an email notification of approval. If a revision is needed, the LEA contacts will receive an email notification that the application must be revised. To revise the application, the LEA must log in to the GMART and review the “Notes” column within the Application Status table and make the necessary revisions. Once all revisions have been completed, the LEA must resubmit the application (see Section 6 instructions).
CDE Contact Information
For questions related to the CSI LEA Applications for Funding, please contact the SISO by email at SISO@cde.ca.gov or by phone at 916-319-0833.
To access the ESSA CSI LEA Walk-through Webinars, please visit the CSI Webinars web page.
For additional information related to CSI, please visit the California Department of Education CSI web page.