System of SupportSupporting districts and schools to help meet the needs of their students.
System of Support
California's system of support is a key aspect of California's accountability and continuous improvement system. The goal of the system of support is to help local educational agencies (LEAs) and their schools meet the needs of each student they serve.
LEAs Eligible for Assistance
California's accountability and continuous improvement system is based on a three-tiered system:
- General assistance – resources and assistance that is made available to all local educational agencies
- Differentiated assistance – local educational agencies that meet certain eligibility criteria for additional support
- Intensive Intervention – local educational agencies with persistent performance issues over a period of time
The eligible criteria for differentiated assistance for local educational agencies (excluding-charter schools) are:
Please note that charter schools are not eligible for differentiated assistance for the 2022–23 school year.
LEAs Eligible for Assistance Data File
The data files for LEAs eligible for assistance can be accessed on the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) web page.
Schools Eligible for Assistance
Schools are eligible for assistance under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The three categories for ESSA assistance are:
- Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI)
- Additional Targeted Support and Improvement (ATSI)
Comprehensive Support and Improvement
The California School Dashboard (Dashboard) is used to determine schools eligible for Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI). CSI has the following two categories of schools:
- Low Graduation Rate
- Low Performing
Schools with a three-year graduation rate average below 68 percent are eligible for CSI – Low Graduation.
After schools are determined eligible for CSI – Low Graduation Rate, using the state indicators on the Dashboard, schools meeting the following criteria are eligible for CSI – Low Performing:
- Schools with all Very Low status;
- Schools with all Very Low but one indicator of another status;
- Schools with 5 or more indicators where the majority are Very Low status;
- Schools with all Very Low and Low status.
Additional Targeted Support and Improvement (ATSI)
The student groups used for ATSI are:
- Race/ethnicity (i.e., Black/African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian American, Filipino, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, White, and two or more races)
- Homeless Students
- English Learner Students
- Foster Youth Students
- Student with Disabilities
- Socioeconomically Disadvantaged Students
ESSA Assistance Eligibility Status Data Files
The ESSA Assistance Eligibility Status data files can be accessed on the ESSA Assistance Status Data Files web page.
Dashboard Technical Guide
More detailed information on how California determines LEAs and schools eligible for assistance can be accessed here: