Culinary BasicsThe School Nutrition Programs Culinary Basics online training.
Learn about the importance of portion control in food preparation and meal service and the benefits of using proper equipment and utensils to measure and control portions. Participants will also be able to compare weight versus volume measurements and access references and resources to accurately prepare standardized recipes and control portions for school food service.
- Course Number: 130
- Training Length: 45 minutes
- Certificate: Available at the end of the training
- Target Audience: Food Service Director and Staff
- Mandatory: No
- Cost: Free
- Date Recorded: August 2017
Begin the Culinary Basics course.
The following resources are referred to throughout this online course:
- Institute of Child Nutrition Basics at a Glance
- YTI Career Institute Basic Math for Culinary Programs
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instructions What's the Scoop on Portion Control? webinar
- Crediting: 0.75 hour
- Key Area:
- Training Topic:
Food Production (2100)
- Learning Objective: Culinary Skills (2130)
- Training Topic: Food Production (2100)
For more information on crediting, access the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) web document Professional Standards Learning Objectives (PDF).
- USDA Food Buying Guide
(FBG) assists with buying the right amount of food and the appropriate type of food and determine the specific contribution each food makes toward the meal pattern requirements.
- USDA FBG Interactive Web Based Tool
includes the FBG Calculator which is used to determine quantities to purchase and prepare recipes.
- Institute of Child Nutrition (ICN) Basic Culinary Math for School Nutrition Professionals training provides participants the opportunity to review and practice basic culinary math skills. This online course is by search available on the ICN iLearn web page
. Registration is required.
If you have technical difficulties or questions regarding the course content, contact the Education and Nutrition Policy Unit by email at HHFKA@cde.ca.gov.