CALPADS Update FLASH #251Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test (ASVAB) Reporting System Now Open.
To: Local Educational Agency (LEA) Representatives
From: California Department of Education (CDE) –
California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) Team
Date: May 5, 2023
Subject: CALPADS Update FLASH #251
Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test (ASVAB) Reporting System Now Open
On May 4, 2023, the CDE’s Analysis, Measurement, and Accountability Reporting Division (AMARD) sent LEA Accountability and Dashboard Coordinators “Updates and Releases Related to the Dashboard.” These updates included an announcement that the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test (ASVAB) Reporting System (located at https://www2.cde.ca.gov/asvabreportingsystem/) is now open for the 2022–23 school year, and that Accountability and Dashboard Coordinators should work with their CALPADS Administrators to ensure that the appropriate data are submitted. This should include identifying the staff who will upload data to the ASVAB Reporting System. LEAs submitting data to the ASVAB Reporting System must do so by June 30, 2023.
(Note: This assessment is only administered to high school students in grades ten through twelve who choose to take the exam. Therefore, this does not apply to LEAs that do not serve students in grades 10–12.)
This is the third year that LEAs are able to submit their ASVAB Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) scores to the CDE. These scores are being collected to assist in determining whether the ASVAB should be included as one of the measures in the College/Career Indicator (CCI) on the California School Dashboard.
Retrieving the ASVAB Access Code
Only CALPADS LEA Administrators can retrieve an Access Code to the ASVAB Reporting System. If you are unsure whether you are the CALPADS LEA Administrator, you may search for your LEA’s CALPADS Administrator from the ASVAB “Search LEA Administrator” web page: https://www2.cde.ca.gov/asvabreportingsystem/LEASearch.
If you are the CALPADS LEA Administrator, retrieve your access code by going to the ASVAB Reporting System login page: https://www2.cde.ca.gov/asvabreportingsystem/. On the login page, select the “Retrieve Your Access Code” button. This will take you to a page that requests your email address. Input your email address, and your access code will be emailed to you.
Note that if you are not the approved CALPADS LEA Administrator with an application that has been approved by the CDE, you will not receive an access code. To check whether you are the CALPADS LEA Administrator, on the ASVAB login page, click the “Search LEA Administrator” button to identify your LEA’s CALPADS Administrator.
Once you retrieve your access code, you may provide that access code to the staff in your LEA who are responsible for uploading data to the ASVAB Reporting System.
To support you with this data collection, the following resources are available:
- The ASVAB Reporting System Instructions for Data Collection and File Upload page at https://www2.cde.ca.gov/asvabreportingsystem/instructions contains details regarding how and what data to upload.
- The ASVAB AFQT Frequently Asked Questions page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/sp/cl/asvabtestfaq.asp reviews information on the data collection, the administration of the test, the Career Exploration Program (CEP) component associated with the test, and common questions that have been expressed by LEAs.
- The ASVAB Career Exploration Program web page at https://www.asvabprogram.com/ contains information about the test and direct contact to the military.
Questions about ASVAB should not be sent to the CALPADS Service Desk, and should be sent to the following email boxes:
- Technical questions about the ASVAB reporting system: ASVAB@cde.ca.gov
- Programmatic questions about ASVAB: ASVAB@cde.ca.gov
- Questions about the CA School Dashboard: Dashboard@cde.ca.gov
Service and Support: CALPADS-CSIS Service Desk | firstname.lastname@example.org | 916-325-9210