Straw Bale Gardening in CNPsStraw bale gardening in Child Nutrition Programs (CNP) online course.
This online training describes the steps to create a straw bale garden.
- Course Number: 332
- Training Length: 37 minutes
- Certificate: Yes
- Target Audience: Child Nutrition Programs
- Mandatory: No
- Cost: Free
- Date Recorded: March 2019
Begin the Straw Bale Gardening in CNPs Course.
The following resources are referred to throughout this online course:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy memorandum CACFP 11–2015, Local Foods in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) with Questions and Answers
- USDA SP 32–2009 School Garden Questions and Answers web page
- USDA SP 06-2015, Farm to School and School Garden Expenses
- USDA Fact Sheets web page
- Urban Farmer California: Vegetable Planting Calendar web page
- Rice Straw Market web page (to find organic straw bales)
- California Farm to Child Nutrition Programs web page (for garden-based nutrition education curricula)
- Crediting: 0.5 hours
- Key Area:
- Training Topic:
Nutrition Education (1200)
- Learning Objective: Support school gardens as a means to nutrition education (1230)
- Training Topic: Nutrition Education (1200)
For more information on crediting, access the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) web document Professional Standards Learning Objectives (PDF)
If you have technical difficulties, please contact the Education and Nutrition Policy Unit by phone at 916-445-9127 for assistance. If you have questions about straw bale gardening, please send email to Farm2School@cde.ca.gov.