Child Nutrition Advisory CouncilBackground and member information for the Child Nutrition Advisory Council (CNAC).
Education Code Section 49533 establishes the CNAC, the members of which are appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. The mission of the CNAC is to provide proactive leadership for the enhancement of health and nutrition education for California’s youth. The CNAC is committed to:
- Ensuring that all youth in California have access to high-quality,
appealing meals and that Child Nutrition Programs promote students’ involvement.
- Promoting a plentiful supply of healthful, high-quality food
for California’s youth
in its role as monitor of the distribution of donated food commodities.
- Advocating the inclusion of nutrition as a strong component
of a comprehensive
integrated school health program.
- Nominating its members for state and national advisory councils
communication with these bodies.
- Maintaining a communication network among allied organizations.
- Monitoring federal and state laws and regulations and advocating
The CNAC is composed of 13 individuals representing different segments of the child nutrition community, including one representative of each of the following:
- State Department of Education
- School administrators
- School board members
- School food service directors
- School food service supervisors/managers
- Classroom teachers
- Curriculum coordinators
- Nutrition education specialists
- Lay persons
- Child care food program sponsors
- Secondary high school students
- Recognized parent–teacher organizations
- Qualified consultants specializing in nutrition, education, child care, or health and welfare
The CNAC members serve for a term of three years, except the student representative, who serves a one-year term. Members may be reappointed.
Nutrition Services Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4503
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-445-0850 or 800-952-5609
Principal Staff Contact
The CNAC welcomes public involvement. Individuals interested in providing public comment at a CNAC meeting can do so through public input sessions, telephone (TTY and fax available), and postal or electronic mail.
|Meeting Date||Agenda||Minute Summary|
|January 7, 2019||January 2019 Agenda||January 2019 Minutes|
|March 11, 2019||March 2019 Agenda||March 2019 Minutes|
|May 13, 2019||Meeting Cancelled||Meeting Cancelled|
|September 9, 2019||September 2019 Agenda||September 2019 Minutes|
|November 18, 2019||November 2019 Agenda||Unavailable|
|March 16, 2020||Meeting Cancelled||Meeting Cancelled|
|May 18, 2020||Meeting Cancelled||Meeting Cancelled|
|September 21, 2020||Meeting Cancelled||Meeting Cancelled|
|November 16, 2020||Unavailable||Unavailable|
For older agendas and minutes, please contact Mike Danzik by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.