CASI November 2023 Charter Chat Resource PageInformation and resources from the November 2023 Charter Chat, presented by the Charter Authorizer Support Initiative (CASI).
Charter Chat Topics
- Legislative Updates
- Program Hot Topics
- Fiscal Hot Topics
- State Board of Education Updates
- Upcoming Events
- November Charter Chat Q&A
- Q&A from Previous Charter Chats and CASI Email
The information contained on this page is provided as a reference only. Charter schools and chartering authorities are encouraged to review the laws and regulations and consult with their own legal counsel regarding the application to their specific situations.
The Legislature has adjourned until January 3, 2024. This is the first year of a two-year cycle. More information will be provided in January.
- New California School Dashboard Deadlines for 2023–24
SB 114 included new statutory deadlines for the publication of the California School Dashboard and related data submission deadlines. The California School Dashboard will be published this year on or before December 15, 2023.
- 2023 Charter School Differentiated Assistance (DA) Determinations
The list of charter schools that qualify for DA will be available on December 15, 2023. General information related to systems of support for which charter schools may be eligible, including differentiated assistance, are available at California Department of Education (CDE) System of Support. Additional charter specific information can be found in the CDE Analysis, Measurement, and Accountability Report Division (AMARD) DA Determination Presentation that can be viewed on the CASI Charter Chat Meeting, November 2023 (Video; 37:45) at 11:18. Additional questions can be directed to AMARD at Dashboard@cde.ca.gov.
- First Interim
Pursuant to California Education Code (EC) Section 47604.33(a)(3), the first interim report is due December 15 for the period ending October 31.
- Audit Report
EC Section 47605(m) states, “A charter school shall transmit a copy of its annual, independent financial audit report for the preceding fiscal year, as described in subparagraph (I) of paragraph (5) of subdivision (c), to its chartering authority, the Controller, the county superintendent of schools of the county in which the charter school is sited, unless the county board of education of the county in which the charter school is sited is the chartering authority, and the department by December 15 of each year.”
- The California State Board of Education (SBE) meeting was held on November 8–9, 2023. During this meeting, the SBE affirmed the denial of the New Pacific School—Yuba City charter petition.
- The next SBE meeting is scheduled for January 19–20, 2024 (Note: This is a Thursday–Friday meeting).
- The next Advisory Commission on Charter Schools meeting is scheduled for December 5, 2023.
- CASI January Quarterly Regional Training on “Authorizers and Charter School Facilities,” presented by Brianna Garcia from School Services of California
- Authorizers will review oversight and engagement concerning charter facilities during the life cycle of a charter school, from petition through start-up, operations, and in the event of closure, including aspects of financing mechanisms such as Proposition 39 and the Charter School Facility Grant Program.
- Virtual training on Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 1–3 p.m.
- Please register at January 2024 CASI Quarterly Regional Training Zoom Registration prior to the event.
- Monthly CASI Charter Chat, January 31, 10–11 a.m.
- CASI Charter Authorizing and Oversight 101: June 18–19, at the 2024 California Charter Authorizing Professional (CCAP) Conference . Save the date: June 18–21, 2024, at the Irvine Marriott.
Charter Authorizer Connection Professional Learning Events
- January 26, 2024, 9–11 a.m.—Charter School Governance Oversight with the Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT) and the National Charter School Institute
- Authorizers vary in their approach to oversight when it comes to charter school’s governance. Together with FCMAT and the National Charter School Institute, join us as we dive into governance best practices and how to fold this important element into your annual oversight checklist.
- Registration for Charter School Governance Oversight
- May 10, 2024, 9–11 a.m.—Charter School Renewals
- Join us as we hear an attorney’s perspective about the legal landscape of charter school renewals and what information your team will need to consider when a renewal petition is submitted to your office.
- Registration for Charter School Renewals
Charter Chat Q&A
Is there a list of charter schools and authorizers?
The CDE Charter School Locator includes downloadable reports and a searchable database including information on charter schools and their authorizers.
Has anyone reviewed the new Mathematics Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Mathematics Framework)? How different is it?
At its meeting on July 12, 2023, the California State Board of Education adopted the Mathematics Framework. The newly adopted Mathematics Framework includes changes to the order of standards, pathways, and instructional and pedagogical shifts. Additional information is available at CDE Mathematics Framework.
How many employee members can serve on a charter school board?
The governance section of the charter, the articles of incorporation, and/or the bylaws may describe the composition of the governing board, including the number of employee members. For charter schools operating as or by a nonprofit public benefit corporation, Corporations Code Section 5227 describes that not more than 49 percent of persons serving on the board of any corporation may be interested persons.
Are any charter schools submitting renewals early?
Please review the CDE Charter Renewals web page which states, “In order to ensure the availability of sufficient data, charter renewals may be heard beginning in fiscal year 2024–25 and/or at the conclusion of the year immediately preceding the final year of the charter school’s term. The CDE recommends the process begin with sufficient time for appeals, if needed, before the charter term has expired.”
Return to Monthly Charter Chats
Return to Charter Authorizer Support Initiative