California Spanish AssessmentInformation about the Spanish assessment for California.
The California Spanish Assessment (CSA) is a new assessment under development for the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System. This assessment, presented in Spanish, serves the more than one million students who speak Spanish as their primary language as well as those who are learning Spanish as an additional language. The purposes of the CSA are to:
- Measure a student’s literacy in Spanish language arts and provide student-level data in Spanish literacy.
- Evaluate the implementation of Spanish language arts programs at the local level.
- Provide a high school measure suitable to be used, in part, for the State Seal of Biliteracy.
The following links provide additional information about the program:
California Assessment Timeline (PDF) presents the assessment administration timeline.
Assessment System Chart (PDF) lists the tests of the 2022–23 California assessment system by subject content, test name, test type, student participant groups, grade levels, and testing window timeframe.
Resources and Communication Materials
- CSA Guidance for Analyzing Results (PDF)
- Resources for Communicating with Parents
- CSA Fact Sheet (PDF)
- CSA–Key Messages
- Parent Guide to Understanding the CSA (PDF)
- "What is the CSA?" Video
- "¿Qué es la CSA?" Video
- CSA – Start a Practice Test (PDF)
- Test Administration Coordination website
- Quick Reference Guides
- Spanish Student Accessibility Graphic (PDF)
- Student Accessibility Resources
Scores and Results Reporting
CSA Student Score Report Information
Test Results for California's Assessments Website – For directions on how to view results, go to Quick Reference Guides.
CAASPP Starting Smarter website
CSA Score Reporting Ranges (PDF) provides the score reporting ranges by grade.
Laws, Regulations, and Requirements
- CSA Revised Blueprint (PDF)
- 2018–19 Standard Setting Technical Report for the CSA (PDF)
- California Spanish Assessment 2018–2019 Technical Report (PDF; 2MB)
- Appendix 3 (PDF)
- Appendix 4 (PDF)
- Appendix 5 (PDF)
- Appendix 6 (PDF)
- Appendix 7 (PDF; 2MB)