School Lunch Meal Pattern RequirementsThe School Nutrition Programs School Lunch Meal Pattern Requirements online training.
Learn the requirements for serving meals in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). This training provides all the information needed to plan daily and weekly reimbursable school lunch menus. You will also be able to identify valuable resources to help you successfully implement the lunch meal pattern requirements.
- Course Number: 226
- Training Length: .75 hour
- Certificate: Available at the end of the training
- Target Audience: Food Service Director and Staff
- Mandatory: No
- Cost: Free
- Date Recorded: October 2019
Begin the School Lunch Meal Pattern Requirements course.
The following resources are referred to throughout this online course:
- California Department of Education (CDE) Meal Pattern for Lunch web page
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Whole Grain Resource for the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs . See pages 23-24 to access Exhibit A
- USDA Food Buying Guide for CNPs web page
- CDE Competitive Foods and Beverages web page
- CDE Modifications to Accommodate Disabilities web page
- CDE Final Rule: Fluid Milk Substitutions web page
- USDA Policy memo SP 40-2019, Smoothies Offered in the Child Nutrition Programs can be accessed on the USDA FNS Documents and Resources web page
- USDA Certification of Compliance Worksheets: 5-day Schedule web page
- California Department of Public Health Harvest of the Month web page
- USDA Offer versus Serve Guidance for the NSLP and the School Breakfast Program (SBP) (PDF)
- CDE Plate Waste Prevention in Child Nutrition Programs web page
- CDE Smarter Lunchrooms Movement Resources web page
- USDA Food Loss and Waste web page
- State of California CalRecycle School Waste Reduction web page
- Crediting: 1.0 hours
- Key Area:
- Training Topic:
Menu Planning (1100)
- Learning Objective: USDA Nutrition Requirements (1110)
- Training Topic: Menu Planning (1100)
For more information on crediting, access the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) web document Professional Standards Learning Objectives (PDF)
For more information about nutrition education training and resources, visit the CDE Healthy Eating and Nutrition Education web page.
- The CDE's NSLP and SBP Meal Patterns web page
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Weekly Nutrient Calculator
(XLS) an Excel spreadsheet that is designed to average your weekly dietary specifications offered over the course of a week and it is based on weighted averages. The spreadsheet is similar to the USDA’s Simplified Nutrient Assessment Tool, but is upgraded to work off of your planned menu for your planned quantity. Therefore, you will have a weighted average for the week. This tool does not replace the USDA approved nutrient analysis software. It is only a tool that you can use if you do not have nutrient analysis but want to see where you are at, especially with sodium levels.
If you have technical difficulties, please contact the Education and Nutrition Policy Unit by phone at 916-445-9127 for assistance. For questions regarding the course content, contact Julie BoarerPitchford, Nutrition Education Consultant, by phone at 916-322-1563 or by email at email@example.com.