Harvest of the MonthHarvest of the Month is an online fruit and vegetable resource with access to tools and materials that can be used widely in school environments.
Harvest of the Month is an online fruit and vegetable resources with access to tools and materials that can be used widely in school environments. The materials are based on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Dietary Guidelines for Americans and promote consumption of seasonal fruits and vegetables, as well as physical activity. Lesson plans are organized by the produce of the month. Three yearly cycles have been developed. Activities in each lesson plan can be organized according to teacher preference and include taste-testing, cooking, student sleuth activities, physical activities, literature links and cafeteria connections, gardening, field trip ideas, and advocacy opportunities. Materials are designed for low-income schools and communities and may be used in a variety of settings: the classroom, cafeteria, home, and community. What’s inside: The website provides free access to educator newsletters, family newsletters, Menu Slicks, press release templates, activities, and additional resources. Information on how to connect with the community and grocery stores is also included. Activity highlight: The apple activity featured for autumn includes the tasting of several varieties of apples; graphing for class evaluation of appearance, texture, smell, flavor, and sound; an apple yogurt trifle recipe; student sleuth activity; apple history and growth information; garden activity; and physical activity called Grab the Apple! During the cafeteria connection, students identify types of apples used in the cafeteria and write letters to staff about the benefits of other varieties.
- Key Content Areas: After School, Cafeteria Connections, Food Literacy and Cooking Activities, Garden-based, Healthy School Environment, Integrated Subjects, MyPlate, Parent and Family Involvement and Physical Activity
- Originator of Resources: California Department of Public Health, Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention
- User of Resource: Teachers
- Audience: Grades K–12
- Languages: Instructional guide in English, with additional handouts in Spanish; family newsletters in Chinese, Vietnamese, Hmong, and Russian
- Number of lessons: 36 lessons
- Amount of time per lesson: Varies
- Format: Downloadable
To access the curriculum, visit the California Department of Public Health Harvest of the Month web page .
If you have any questions, visit the California Department of Public Health Harvest of the Month Contact Information web page .