Title I, Part A Comparability DocumentsLocal educational agencies that receive Title I, Part A funding submit reports to show how they provide state and local resources in Title I schools that are comparable to the services provided in non-Title I schools.
Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) provides federal financial assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) to provide supplemental services to meet the educational needs of educationally disadvantaged children. The legislation requires LEAs to provide state and local resources in Title I schools that are comparable to the services provided in non-Title I schools. This requirement continues under the Every Student Succeeds Act.
Demonstrating comparability is a prerequisite for receiving Title I, Part A funds. Title I, Part A allocations are made annually, therefore comparability is an annual requirement.
This Web page provides information to LEAs for the 2017–18 California Department of Education (CDE) comparability requirements.
Letters and Guidance
- Notification Letter to LEAs Regarding 2017–18 Comparability Reporting Requirements [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/comparnotifyltr.asp] (Posted 20-Oct-2017)
- Comparability Form Selection Chart [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/documents/comparformsel.doc] (DOC; Posted 20-Oct-2017)
- Title I, Part A Comparability FAQ [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/comparfaq.asp]
- Meeting Title I, Part A Comparability Requirements [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/documents/compreq.doc] (DOC; Updated 20-Oct-2017)
- Narrated PowerPoint Presentation of Title I, Part A Comparability [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/compar2010recording.swf] (FLASH; Posted 06-Sep-2011)
- Text Transcription of Title I, Part A Comparability Presentation [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/documents/titleicomparnarrat.doc] (DOC; Posted 06-Sep-2011)
Forms and Instructions
- Comparability Forms A-G [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/documents/compformsag.xls] (XLS; Updated 18-Oct-2017)
- Comparability Form Instructions [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/documents/compforminst.doc] (DOC; Updated 18-Oct-2017)
- Sample Comparability Forms A-G [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/documents/compformsample.xls] (XLS; Updated 18-Oct-2017)
Sample District Policies developed by the California School Boards Association Board Policy Title I Programs [https://www.csba.org/ProductsAndServices/AllServices/~/~/media/CSBA/Files/GovernanceResources/PolicyNews_Briefs/ParentInvolvement/BP_AR_6171.ashx]
Elementary and Secondary Education Act, General Assurances for Comparability [http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/fm/generalassurances2017.asp]
Consolidated Application Part I and II Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) General Assurances, Title I, Part A, and State Compensatory Education legal assurances.
Non-Regulatory Guidance on Title I Fiscal Issues [https://www2.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/fiscalguid.pdf]
Detailed information about comparability requirements and sample calculations from the U.S. Department of Education.