Organization - CalEdFactsThis content is part of California Department of Education's information and media guide about education in the State of California. For similar information on other topics, visit the full CalEdFacts.
An overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) showing branches and divisions.
Tony Thurmond, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
Office of the Chief Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction -- Mary Nicely
Information & Technology Branch--Mary Nicely
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Rodney Okamoto, Director
Superintendent's Initiatives Office--Steve Zimmer, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Strategy, Planning, Special Projects Branch -- Jennie Carreon, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Government Affairs Division -- Amy Tang-Paterno, Interim Director
Branches and Divisions
Equity Branch--Dr. Daniel Lee
Dr. Lee will be working to bring cohesion in all of the CDE's equity work, and will also facilitate our newly created counseling coalition to help support CDE’s organizational development around building counseling, social emotional learning (SEL), and other whole child programs.
- Career & College Transition Division -- Pete Callas, Director
- Educator Excellence & Equity Division -- Monique McWayne, Interim Director
- Student Achievement & Support Division -- Dr. Lindsay Tornatore, Director
- Family & Engagement Office--Lisa Borrego
- Local Agency Systems Support Office -- Joshua Strong, Administrator
- Whole Child Division--Vacant, Director
Instruction, Measurement & Administration Branch--Cheryl Cotton, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data.
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Dr. Mao Vang, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Mike Torres, Interim Director
- Human Resources Division -- Chaunda Bell, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Robin Zane, Director
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Randi Thompson, Staff Services Manager III
Legal & Audits Branch -- Amy Bisson Holloway, General Counsel
- Legal Division
- Virginia Jo Dunlap, Chief Counsel II
- Todd Smith, Chief Counsel II
- Vacant, Chief Counsel II
- Audits & Investigations Division -- Tami Pierson, Interim Director
- Administrative Support & Regulations Adoption -- Lorie Adame, Manager
Opportunities for All Branch -- Sarah Neville-Morgan, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Helps all students—from infant and toddlers to adults—to fulfill their goals by supporting teachers, educators, and school and district leaders while celebrating diversity and embracing inclusion before, during, and after school.
- Early Education Division -- Stephen Propheter, Director
- Multilingual Support Division -- Alesha Moreno-Ramirez, Director
- Expanded Learning Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Kim Frinzell, Director
- Special Education Division -- Heather Calomese, Director
Operations & Administration Branch -- Lisa Constancio, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Charter Schools Division -- Stephanie Farland, Director
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Leisa Maestretti, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Juan Mireles, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Elizabeth Dearstyne, Director